him falling out of love (t.r.)

looks like being sad is a common theme here i see

tom hated this feeling. this feeling of discontent and emptiness he felt when he was around you. he knew that what he was feeling wasn't normal. he was supposed to love you. you two had been together for quite sometime now after all. you were perfect too. whenever he had a bad day, you wouldn't question anything. you would know whether he wanted to be comforted or left alone. and you were happy and ready to do whatever you felt he needed. this is why he hated this feeling. this feeling of sourness and discomfort he felt when he was with you. his eyes never lit up like yours would every time you saw him. his heart didn't skip two beats when you held him.
he felt cold.
he felt emotionless.
but now with astoria, he felt all of that. he felt emotion. his cheeks filled with warmth and his stomach would burst into butterflies whenever she said his name. he knew this was wrong. but somehow to him, it felt like the most righteous thing in the world.

now you had noticed toms distance and his growing closeness with that greengrass girl. you trusted him but something in the back of your mind told you.
it told you he didn't feel the same anymore. you refused to give into that voice though. tom still loves me. right? i mean why wouldn't he? but still, you felt off whenever you saw him with her and when he spent time with you. it hurt your heart when he slightly flinched whenever you tried to touch him. or when he would show no interest when speaking to you.
he didn't know. he didn't know you noticed whenever you'd be walking in the halls and his eyes would land on astoria. the girl with the wavy long brown hair and the green as emeralds eyes. he didn't know you saw the flush in his cheeks whenever he talked to her. you knew that you couldn't keep pretending like your boyfriend wasn't in love with someone else. it was getting too hard knowing that he'd never look at you like that again. you decided it was time to let him go. for both of your sakes. you knew you deserved better and so did tom. you deserved someone who truly loved you and tom deserved to be with someone he truly loved.
what hurt was that you knew you'd never be that person for him.

it was after classes one particular gloomy afternoon. you and tom usually met in the library after school to complete any assignments you had for your classes. your mind was filled with the sudden shock hitting you that you had to be the one to end it. you reach the library and immediately see tom talking to astoria. he was sitting down in one of the chairs that the two of you always sat at and she was leaned up against the table facing him. you could see him crack a smile. a genuine smile. a smile that you hadn't been the cause of. a smile that he hasn't done because of you in a long long time. his eyes locked with yours and his smile almost instantly fell. he looked at astoria and gave her a small nod. she looked in your direction and saw you. she quickly got up and left. you walked towards tom trying not to make your sadness obvious.

"hello tom." he hummed in response and put his nose in his book. "we need to talk." he quickly looked up at you.

"about what y/n?" his voice almost sounded like he had been caught. you could see him gulp and his adam's apple bob up and down.

"i know you love her tom." his eyes widen at your words and he begins to start saying something almost as if to object. "there's no point in denying it you know. i've seen the way you look at astoria." his eyes disengage with yours and fall to the ground. he isn't keeping eye contact y/n. this is it isn't? how stupid were you to think that he'd magically deny it and say, "no i'm not in love with astoria what are you talking about? i'm in love with you y/n, and only you."

"i'm so sorry y/n." straight to apologizing. your eyes start to water. you were on the verge of literal tears in the library. get your shit together. you are not going to let yourself show him how much this actually hurts. you gather your thoughts and clear your throat. he looks up at you once again. you knew this was going to be the last time you were going to be able to look him in the eyes on these terms. not your terms.

"goodbye tom. i hope she gives you everything that you apparently didn't get from me." you fail to notice that toms eyes too had started to water. you turn around and leave. you head straight to your dorm and break down. why was i not good enough for him you think.