Nineteen

We were on a wagon as Hanji was taking us to our next destination.

"Hey, (Y/N)?" Hanji says.

"Yeah. What is it?"

"Can you be a human torch for a second?"

"Hanji, this wagon is made of wood."

"Just do your head then. You can do certain body parts, right?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'll try." I start to feel that familiar tingling sensation as my head gets warm.

"Ooooooo! (Y/N)! I can see your face but it's like, really white!" Hanji says trying to touch my head.

Levi pulls her back and says, "You're going to burn yourself." I stop the flame and look at Hanji.

"You can't touch me when I'm lit like that, Hanji."

"But-"

"Do you want to burn yourself again?" Mikasa says.

She paused for a moment. Then said, "Guess you're right."

"Hanji, you said you might know where they are?" Mikasa says.

"Oh, yeah. Guess I should explain how." Hanji says holding up a book. "Erwin gave me the Scout report from an investigation on Lord Reiss' land. It details a certain incident that occurred five years ago on the Reiss Estate."

"Five years?" Mikasa asks.

"That's right. It was the day Wall Maria was breached. I'll summarize the most important parts from the beginning. So, as far as regional lords went, Lord Reiss was fair and well-respected by the people. He had five children."

"Damn." I say out loud nonchalantly.

"The most well-known of them was his eldest daughter Frieda. She was a down-to-earth girl who even the peasants adored. But five years ago, on that night, disaster struck. With the fall of Wall Maria having plunged the world into chaos, bandits raided and set fire to the only chapel around. Unfortunately for them, the entire Reiss family had gathered there to pray. And so, the entire family was massacred by bandits that night, save one. Only Rod Reiss managed to escape with his life. To top it all off, this incident occurred just a few days before Historia's mother was killed by the Interior Police. So we know that in the immediate wake of losing his family, Rod Reiss sought out Historia. And something tells me that it wasn't out of a newfound paternal affection."

"Well, she is Royal blood." I say.

"Or do you think that bloodline has some other secret?" Levi says.

"It's possible, but I'm not sure yet. What really stood out to me at least, was the fact that large parts of the chapel were destroyed. The chapel was built from stone. It would take a lot of time and effort to destroy it. If it were bandits, they'd have taken what they could and make a quick escape. Also, Lord Reiss was the only witness. No one confirmed his story. Then Lord Reiss rebuilt the chapel with his personal fortune almost immediately. What was his rush?"

It was a dead silence as everyone was looking at each other, then Hanji spoke again.

"When you think about it, the story could only make sense if it involved a Titan attack. It may turn out that I'm jumping to conclusions, but it's suspicious enough to merit investigation, as it's the only lead we have. Before the night is over, Reiss' land will be crawling with our soldiers. Unfortunately, we can't expect him to wait that long. We have to go there as soon as possible. Before Eren ends up in someone's stomach."

The whole atmosphere turned into a serious one.

Mikasa looks at me and says, "You think we can save him in time?"