🐺 Chapter 1. The beginning

I'd never given much thought of how I would die. Especially when you are living for a couple of centuries. I was born as a werewolf in 1746 which is 275 years ago. It's a long time but I don't regret my life. I met some amazing people and throughout time, I saw the world changing around me. My two brothers, younger than I am, aren't with me anymore unfortunately. They died years ago, centuries ago due to illness and hunters.

World war 2 changed my life forever. Nazi's got me and tried to make me fight for them. I managed to get back to the United States again where I joined the military. After 1945, I managed to live a normal life, but didn't last for long. The government started in the early 1990 project Pegasus. All noted werewolves are forced to fight for the United States and we are often sent to dangerous places.

Our pack is small, seven including me form the K19 unit. No one knows about us, some people working in the government don't even know about us. If we refuse or make a mistake, we get killed and it's not the first time it happens. A week ago, Benny a young werewolf got killed because he got scared. Life is surely hard but once again, I don't regret the life I have although I do miss my freedom sometimes.

As K19, we have one 'normal' human we work with and are close to. Mine is the 30 year old James Lennox. He joined the military nearly at the same time as his brother William Lennox who's recently working in Washington DC. I have never met William Lennox, but I am very close to James's family. He has a 12 year old daughter named Rose and 6 year old boy named Oliver. They love me, even though I am most of the time showing up as a wolf. I am protecting James and he's a good friend. His wife, Nicole is to die for. She's always so sweet and carrying.

The sun was shining brightly, the spring had nearly ended and summer was already looking around the corner. My grey and white coat was shining under the sun. Olivier stumbled over to me and flopped beside me, hugging me. People always question when they see me around Oliver if it's safe or not. They don't know I am a werewolf, and it's okay. I am basically their pet, they see me that way. One of the reasons I don't show up in my human form is because it will confuse them and I am a secret. Young kids sometimes say things they aren't supposed to say even if they're not doing it on purpose.

Nevertheless, I like both James's kids. I laid my head on the grass while listening to Oliver talking about his day at school. Rose, eventually joined us and bickered a little with her brother because she wanted to talk about her day as well. I uttered a small growl and perked my head up. They stopped bickering. Oliver wrapped his arms around my neck and hugged me. "Rose! Olivier!" Nicole called. They turned before they ran over to her.

I sucked in a breath and looked out of the farm in front of me. Close to the farm house, was a small hill and oak tree on it. I loved this spot, it gave me the opportunity to look over the farm and entrance. Due to our work we make enemies and I don't want anything to happen to James or his family. We have each other's back and I know I can fully trust him just as he can fully trust me.

As the evening settled and the sun slowly started to disappear, James walked up to me. His hands stuffed his pockets in his shorts. Without saying anything, he sat beside me and said nothing for a good moment. "Dixon called..." he went off. I know what that means, Dixon is our boss, head of K19, but didn't fight with us. He's only the director and I am not sure if I like him or not. Sometimes he can be nice and sometimes he's a complete idiot and jerk.

"There's a guy... Zane. The FBI is keeping an eye on him for a while now but... they gave the case to our unit. He's making bombs and is probably going to commit an attack..." he sighed and rubbed his face. I know how dangerous people can be, one thing I learned over the last years. He wrapped his arm around me and softly ran his hand through my silvery coat. "You think you are ready for another mission? I know we just got back..." he trailed off.

I turned my head to look at him and sighed softly. "I know I can trust you... and I can't imagine a better partner. When I was assigned for K19, I thought this wouldn't work out and I have to admit, when Dixon pointed at you... I had my doubts. You are the only female and the youngest... but you proved me wrong and I don't want anyone to replace you..."

I knew he was doubting me at the beginning, but I wanted to prove him wrong and I did everything to win his trust. I never disappointed me and I always put my life at risk to save him.

"We are leaving tonight and go to base..." he stated. I don't really mind if we leave tonight or not, I won't get any sleep anyway. I hoisted myself up as he did as well. He dressed up in his uniform and knelt down to say his kids goodbye. "Why are you leaving already daddy?" Olivier asked, giving him a sad look. "Daddy needs to catch some bad people..." he said, hugging his son. "But you will be home soon, right?" Rose asked sadly. "Of course... you know Skye's the fastest hunter around here!"

I snorted and sat down, pointed my ears forward. It's always hard for the kids to say goodbye to their dad because his work is dangerous. They know it, we all know it. James got up, "come on, Skye... let's go!"