🐺 Chapter 21. Scents

I stood across Delpont Circle. The world awash in dark blue, purple, and orange hues, interrupted only by the city's lights below, casting its light sky-high. I tilted my head in the air, taking in the many smells. Cars, humans, salt, dogs, and trees. Another sniff took me deeper, pulling back layers. The smell of cars had supremacy. Then— There was a weak smell of Energon lingering in the sky, which didn't belong to the twins.
I started pacing around the area, noting and scenting the disturbances. I sniffed again, downloading and sorting all sorts of scents.

'Isn't it easier in your wolf form?'

I looked over my shoulder. 'You followed me?' Sunstreaker made his way closer. 'You're chipped, remember?' I rolled my eyes. 'What are you doing?' I gestured at the surrounding area. 'Layering scents. If I have to choose between going back to base, reading stupid manuals, or being out here, enjoying my bit of freedom, I'll choose option two.' Sunstreaker's eyes softened. 'Not that you know how it feels to be enslaved.'

'I do,' he mumbled quietly, pacing beside me. 'There's just nothing I can do.' She surveyed him. 'Would you have done something if you could?' He nodded slowly and shrugged. 'As if I want to torment you even more. I've been enslaved and forced to fight in arenas.' I sucked in a breath.' So, why didn't you say you would come here?' I shrugged. 'I wanted to be alone.' He hummed his response and shoved his hands in the pocket of his leather jacket.
'You found something?' I knew that question would come. 'Not sure. You interrupted my investigation.' He gestured for me to continue. 'You know that as soon as I regain my freedom, I'm out of here, right?'

'Why is that relevant now?'

'Because your brother is getting attached. I'm not staying; I'm going home as soon as I have the opportunity.' He didn't much as blink. 'And where would that be? I thought you didn't have a home.' I shrugged. 'I come from somewhere. I'm going back to where I was born. Far away from any human activity. Just want you to know.' Sunstreaker nodded. 'I won't stop you.'
'Good.'
I turned back to my investigation. Sunstreaker kept a healthy distance away, slowly trailing after me. 'Will you forgive Lennox?' His question caught me off guard. 'Why do you care? You don't even like humans.' I didn't bother turning my head. 'Just curious.' Lennox and I had a strained relationship. I didn't see it getting better soon. Maybe never. Besides the fact, he treats me like a dog. 'Would you forgive someone who treats you like a dog? Chipping you? Making sure I am infertile? Don't think I haven't heard the rumors and the things the council whispers in his ear, Sunstreaker. What will happen if I get bred? They fear me.'

'Yes, but he didn't listen to them, did he?'
'You think?'
I swirled to face him. Sunstreaker crossed his arms. 'Fair enough.' He gave me a mocking grin I decided to ignore. He knew it would make me see red. 'There's a weak Energon smell that doesn't belong to you or your brother.'
'How do you know?' I gave him a flat stare. 'How do you know how to transform? I was part of a special force; you smell different.' I passed him. 'How do you know which scent is from me?' I suppressed a groan and glanced sideways. Sunstreaker seemed sincerely interested. 'Because you two don't have the same smile. It's close, but not the same. There are always some differences.'

He scanned my face. 'I am tired. I am going back to base.' His hand wrapped around my arm. 'Can I give you a ride back? I don't feel comfortable if you walk back on your own. Not as this hour.' I could've snapped at him for being a busybody, but I was too tired to argue. 'Sure.' I gestured for him to take the lead. 'Being here in Washington DC, isn't that bad. Give my brother a chance. It's been a while since he opened up for a female.'

The base was quiet when we arrived. Only a few soldiers were still active and quietly fulfilling their duty. Sideswipe was among them, waiting for me or his brother, I couldn't tell. His big blue eyes marked my every move as I trudged past him. 'Did you find something, Skye?' I came to a halt. 'No.' I caught his gaze. He slowly pushed himself off his alt-mode and approached. 'Why didn't you tell us where you went?' I cocked a brow. 'I am chipped, Sideswipe. You can quickly check where I am.' I held his gaze for a second or two. 'Right...' I pushed him aside and retreated to my room.

I skipped breakfast the following day. Not hungry nor in the mood to be around anyone. A knock on the door followed. Sideswipe came in a heartbeat later. 'You haven't had breakfast.' I bared my fangs. 'Stop digging into my life, Sideswipe. I eat whenever I want to eat. What's the purpose of your visit? Do I need to kill someone?' He didn't respond. 'If you have nothing to say, then get out and leave me alone.' Sideswipe shut the door and approached. 'I won't let you chase me away. I know you're angry and frustrated, but it's unfair to react it on me. I have nothing to do with it.' I merely snorted and picked on my hoody.

'You'll be there during lunch.'

'Sure, whatever you want. I have to obey because I am a stupid dog. Get the fuck out, Sideswipe. I stayed here for peace. If you enjoy my company so much, you'll see me during lunch.' He bit down on his lip. 'You think this is all so bad, but it truly isn't. You need to learn to follow; it's easier to cope with people like Galloway. They like seeing you like this.' I turned my head away. 'Get out, Sideswipe.' He sucked in a breath and turned on his heels. 'Fine, I'll see you at lunch.'