Chapter Eighteen [Eli]

Liam's wink as he passes us to go into the kitchen is flippant enough to be in-character.

Neither of the guys so much as bats an eye. Most of them don't even spare a glance Liam's way. Connor and James are too engrossed in Trey's boisterous retelling of the drunk spectacle his uncle turned into during his Christmas family dinner, and Dean appears to be captivated by the marshmallows I piled on his hot chocolate.

I catch a glimpse of familiar brown curls toward the entryway and lift my eyes to meet hers. Olivia Holmes smiles at me as she walks in our direction, resting a hand on Owen's shoulder.

"Hey, boys," she greets briskly.

Her friends come behind her. Quiet Page smiles shyly at the back of Owen's head as he turns to look at his sister, Rachel grins broadly at the group, and Kate makes a point to look at every face except Connor's as she twirls a lock of bright red hair around her finger.

"Hey, girls," Trey Coleman replies, matching Olie's cheerfulness. His eyes land on the readhead, as he adds, "Sup, K."

Apparently, their summer fling did not generate the same bad blood as her short-lived relationship with Connor.

I watch Rachel walk up closer to Dean, but he seems to miss it, starting when she says, "Hi."

Dean returns the friendly smile and they strike up light conversation just as effortlessly. I lose focus too easily though, staring down at the register screen. I am still mildly aware of the voices around me, but the words don't filter through. I can hear Trey's louder voice and Kate's girly giggle, but I don't hear the joke. I sense the movement, but I don't notice the girls moving away to a table at the back until I hear Owen protest.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing, man?" He exclaims, making Trey's neck — which was almost done with a one-eighty turn — whip back around.

"Gee, calm down," Trey laughs it off. "I was just looking."

"Not at my sister, you're not," Owen rebukes.

Try smiles slyly. "It's precisely because she's your sister that I'm just looking."

Owen scowls. "You're not her type," he grumbles.

Trey snickers. "Why not? She's into Blake," he says, jerking his head in my direction.

"Just fuck off," Owen blurts. "My sister is off limits." His eyes turn on me. "To everyone."

I don't even bother objecting. Before I have to, Liam peeks his head out of the kitchen to call my name.

"Can I see you in here for a second?" He asks.

"What for?"

"I need help with something."

I roll my eyes, begrudgingly following.

Liam waits patiently for me to join him in the dish-washing corner. "You're sure selling that reluctant hypermasculine jock act," he whispers.

I cross my arms over my chest, looking around to the busy kitchen getting ready for lunch time. "What do you want?"

He smiles, undeterred by my dry tone. "You," he murmurs. "And me. The rink. Tonight."

"Maybe," I reply noncommittally.

"Say yes."

I press my lips together. "Fine."

He grins. "That's all."

I shake my head, shouldering past him to go back out. Dean looks up at me as I approach, eyeing Liam as he leaves the kitchen just a few seconds later.