Chapter Twelve (pt. 1) [Eli]

The twitch of Owen's lips diminishes his half-assed scowl.

Dean laughs even harder at the slight discrepancy in Owen's expression. Connor Wong and James Lowell join him. I glance at Owen to watch him fight the laughter for just a second, before giving in.

I didn't hear whatever jab Connor threw at him, so I can't find it me to laugh along. But it must have been funny if it made Owen crack the broody front in public. 

Not far from us, Trey Coleman is on his feet, telling a story that has the rest of the team crying with laughter. He's definitely the entertainer. 

There always needs to be a player to bridge the gap between the new guys and the rest of the team. In my freshmen year, it was Nathan Sullyvan — Natalie Sullyvan's brother, a junior at the time. He went on to be captain the year after that. Coach Hansen chose him because of his ability to get along with everybody and make everyone get along with each other. He was a really social guy. 

A lot of people thought that same logic would make me captain in my senior year. But that was before last year.

Linden came after Sullyvan, and he was more like Owen. Great center, completely focused on getting into college. He was no entertainer, but he was the kind of trust-inspiring captain the new guys always yearned to impress. You could say he was Owen's mentor for the past two years, and probably the one who recommended him as captain to our coaches.

The rare open grin on Owen's face fades when a pair of hands clasps around his shoulders. It's the kind of casually intimate gesture that only one person could be confident enough to make.

"Hey, boys," Olivia chirps happily.

Olivia's friends stand behind her, in a somewhat awkward line. Three girls from the drama club I never really knew until last year. Paige, the blonde one, who keeps shooting Owen these longing glances she doesn't even seem to notice she's doing. Rachel, the brunette who made out with Dean last year. Twice. And Kate, the redhead who went with Connor to last year's winter formal, and who hooked up with Trey Coleman the summer before that.

Small town.

"Hey," Dean greets with an easy smile. Rachel smiles back at him.

Connor and Kate look at everything but each other. I think things ended awkwardly between them, after the winter formal. I can't judge. I broke up with my girlfriend of a year last winter formal, after two months of ignoring her.

"Shouldn't you be watching your figure for the season?" Olivia asks playfully, looking at Dean's fries.

"Shouldn't you be minding your own damn business?" Owen shoots back, even though he always gives us disapproving glares whenever we break our diet plans.

"Why you gotta be so aggressive?" Olivia huffs, pulling her hands away from his shoulders. "I'm just making conversation."

"Stupid conversation," Owen argues sullenly.

"Your face is more stupid," she quips back.

"Stupider," Owen corrects.

Olivia smiles sweetly. "Glad we agree," she muses, making her way toward me.

I raise my eyebrows in surprise as she goes right ahead and takes a seat on my lap, facing her brother at the head of the table. She props her elbow on my shoulder casually.

"No chairs available?" I ask.

She grins. "Nope. All full. Also, I like making his nostrils flare." She jerks her head in her brother's direction.