Excerpt

I'm back with something new! And this is different, so hear me out.

First, this book is a lot shorter, but there is a sequel fully outlined and in process of being written. I planned it as a two-book story, because there's a time gap (not exactly a jump) in between the two parts. Hopefully, you'll enjoy the first one enough to read the sequel :)

Also, this book is written in a first person perspective. I just wanted to try it out.

There's also some slightly heavier themes I'm trying to include, so if mentions of grief and depression aren't your thing at all, maybe skip this. (No character deaths in the story, it's all previous to the start of it)

I may or may not, depending on how things evolve during editing, change the rating of the book later on.

If you came here from my previous work, welcome back! Thanks for giving this a try. Please bear in mind that it's not exactly the wholesome cutesy love story Carter and Johnny had. It's a little messier.

If you just stumbled upon this somehow, thanks for stopping by. Hope you like it!

For now, I leave you with a small excerpt of the story. Let me know what you think!

***

Chapter Three [Liam] — Excerpt:

On the other side of the arena, the hockey team has already left the ice and is getting rid of their pads and protections and stuff. I try a quick inconspicuous glance, but Chloe deflects my attention again.

"She's kinda right, you know," she says, with just that slight motherly edge of judginess in her tone, as we both sit on a bench to remove our skates.

"Mh?"

Chloe rolls her eyes, taking her skates in her hands to stand from the bench. "I don't know where your head is this morning, but it certainly isn't on this rink."

Just about a hundred feet to the left, that's where, I think as my eyes drift back to where they haven't been able to stay off since I stepped on the ice.

And it's like Chloe reads my mind.

"You didn't catch Gus's obsession for the hockey team, did you? You know it's not even cute when he does that anymore."

Just as she finishes saying that, Gus and Nat walk out of the rink towards us. If there's a God looking out for me, dude's gonna make sure they didn't hear it.

I should've probably gone to church when my parents asked me to, though, because when we step into the locker room Gus shoots me a devious little smirk.

"Did you finally discover the wonders of the hockey boys?" He nudges my arm with his elbow twice and waggles his eyebrows on the off-beat. It's strangely coordinated, and adequately weird.

I roll my eyes.

Gus doesn't seem to get that as the official non-verbal sign for Ah!-hilarious-now-drop-it.

"Which one caught your eye?"

I ignore him. Fortunately, we don't share the locker room with the hockey team at the arena. They have their locker rooms on their side and we have ours on our side.

"I got my dibs on Owen," Gus declares.

"Not my type."

Gus scoffs skeptically. "Too hot?"

I snort. "Too broody."

"I also kinda want dibs on Eli."

Oh, no, you don't.

I guess that thought sits on my face looking like impatience, because Gus rolls his eyes and exclaims, "He got really hot this year!"

"Didn't notice."

"Bullshit."

And I guess I can't argue with that.