Chapter Sixteen (pt. 2) [Eli]

James Lowell arrives exactly when he said he would, with Connor Wong in the passenger seat. Owen, Dean and I squeeze into the backseats.

The party is being held at the recreational center of the Astor Ski Resort, the polyvalent rooms used to host meetings and fundraising events alike. And the occasional party whenever one of the Lake City kids manages to rent it.

The Astor Ski Resort is basically a fantasy land of cottage-style wooden buildings climbing up the slope of the snow-covered mountain. Shops and rooms and full cabins to rent make up almost a little town of their own, shining homely orange lights from the windows as soon as night falls. 

From afar, the warm lights paint the snow-covered roofs a pale gold, creating a perfect Christmas postcard, reflected on the frozen lake that gives the city its name. The lake stretches wide and smooth like a large floor of thick crystal across the southern border of the city.

Behind the winter wonderland landscape that serves the touristic purposes of the resort, taller and more modern buildings rise to give structure to apartment complexes and mansions for the Lake City elite, the Resort's more wealthy clients and, of course, the Olympic ski team.

The long, bungalow-type building that encompasses the recreational center stands next to The Lodge, the more intricate construction scaling up a steeper corner of the mountain in elegant wooden levels. We step inside, behind James and Connor, letting the thick warmth envelop us. Shaking our bulky jackets off our shoulders, we walk deeper inside to clear the entryway.

I think Dean spots her right away. 

My eyes and Owen's follow his line of sight.

Mackenzie Pruitt, cheerful as she can only be seen off school, sits on the arm of a smooth black leather couch, the kind that furnishes the lobby of every Astor Ski Resort building. A group of figure skaters sit around her, including Natalie and the kid who took Liam Astor to The Lodge that night he got the crap beaten out of him.

Because Brunson is a small town, there is no such thing as high school parties. Only large gatherings that the Lake City kids put together, for the younger layers of the Lake City-Brunson areas. That includes ex-Brunson High students as well. Like the tall, handsome guy letting Mackenzie use his shoulder as an arm rest while he rests one elbow on her thigh.

I recognize him from the Ice Arenas too, I think. Maybe Dean does too. Maybe he doesn't. But his shoulders definitely deflate and he gets this look on his face, like the Puss In Boots when he is trying to disarm his enemies. Except Dean looks like the one who just got disarmed.

Owen laughs, slapping a hand over Dean's shoulder to slide his arm around him. "Come on. Let's get you a drink," he says, shaking Dean softly before letting go.

"I think I'm just gonna go find the guys," Dean murmurs.

Owen shrugs. "Want anything, Eli?"

"Yeah, just whatever. I'll take your jackets." I reach out my hands before heading for the coat racks.

On my way, I spot Hannah, standing to a corner with a couple of girls who work at some part of the Astor Ski Resort. I return her grinning, enthusiastic wave with an acknowledging head nod, making a point to hurry back, before she has time to think about coming over to talk.

Takes me less than half a minute to find Dean sitting next to James and Connor. To my surprise, Connor's sister and Trey Coleman are with them. To my absolute shock, Trey looks completely sober.

"Designated driver," he explains before I can ask. Not that I would.

Owen comes back with a cup in each hand, handing one to me and another to Dean. Like Trey, he is also the designated driver for James's car.