golden moments

"Caleb, get your ass down here

"Caleb, get your ass down here."

The older man was shocked to hear Amber's voice and even more so when she cursed.

"Amber, I shouldn't have to tell you not to speak to me that way," Caleb chuckled, appearing next to the girl with a pop.

"I can speak to you however I like after everything you've done." Amber's hand found Caleb's newly shaven face, slapping the smirk away. "How could you? How could you stamp my brother, my best friend, my... How could you think I wouldn't find out?"

To say Caleb was shocked would be an understatement. He had done everything in his power to keep his true intentions for the ghosts who worked for him from the girl he viewed as his daughter and hearing those words coming from her mouth was the last thing he thought would happen that day. For the first time in nearly a century, the man was ashamed. Ashamed of who he had become, ashamed of what he had done. But all of that faded as quickly as it appeared.

"I did it for you," Caleb replied, forcing a smile. "This way you'll never lose your brother and his band. They'll never leave you again."

"No, Caleb. You don't understand. You can't force someone to love you, you can't buy devotion. I saw you as a father and you have betrayed me in every sense possible! First Willie, now Reggie, Luke, and Alex? Those boys mean the world to me and the very thought of them being in pain... the very thought that I could be the cause of that pain kills me."

"How did you find out?" Caleb whispered with a grimace.

"I found one of your contracts," Amber spat, lying through her teeth. "I tried to believe it wasn't true, I couldn't believe that the man who showed me nothing but love and affection could be so sadistic and cruel. I was hoping you would prove me wrong. I was begging the stars that you would prove me wrong, and yet here you are." Tears were spilling down the girl's face at a rapid rate, breaking the man's heart even further. "I have to watch my own twin deteriorate as you suck his power from his soul. I have to watch the bassist who has always made me laugh and who I consider my best friend cry out in pain whenever your stamp shocks them. I have to watch the boy I still love with every bone in my body lose the light in his eyes, the very light that drew me to him in the first place, as you take him from me. So don't you dare say you did this for me."

The Covington man was speechless, unable to move as Amber left him right before his eyes. He knew there was nothing he could do to stop her. For a moment, one fleeting moment, Caleb considered removing the stamp to appease the girl, but that moment passed before the thought had even taken hold. The man's face hardened as he whispered to himself, "she'll thank me one day."