funny feelings

To say that Bobby and Amber were inseparable since they met each other when they were four would be an understatement

To say that Bobby and Amber were inseparable since they met each other when they were four would be an understatement. Of course, Bobby and Alex were friends too, but they were never as close to each other as they both were to Amber. The boy and his neighbor were practically siblings, knowing every detail about the other's life by heart.

Bobby was unafraid of the consequences of giving someone a black eye and would gladly do so if Amber was hurt. If Bobby liked a girl, Amber would be sure to talk him up and make her notice him. She was an expert at small talk and could get the two of them out of any situation. Combined with Bobby's rebellious nature, the two of them were a recipe for trouble. And everyone knew it.

They knew each other inside and out, so when Amber started to blush at the mention of Luke Patterson, Bobby was certain of her new crush.

"Just ask him out, already! It's 1995, for God's sake, it doesn't always have to be the guy," he stressed, pulling her away from the rest of the band during a break of a particularly blush-filled rehearsal.

"Wh-what do you mean?" Amber replied, trying to play it cool. "Ask who out?"

"Don't play dumb with me. Do I need to spell it out for you?"

"I'm so confused," Amber pretended.

"L is for love of Amber's life, U is for uncommonly gorgeous, K is for kiss me alr-" Bobby was cut off by Amber slapping her hand over his mouth.

"Be quiet, will you? Plus, I don't like him like that." Her tomato face said otherwise.

"Mhm. So if another girl were to start going out with Luke... you wouldn't care?"

"No, of course not," Amber lied through her teeth.

"Perfect. I'll set it up," he responded, a plan forming in his mind. He knew exactly how to make his two friends realize their feelings for each other. Bobby walked away before Amber could even say a word, leaving her speechless and terrified. "Hey, Luke, there's a girl I know named Sarah who likes you. You two should go out."

The other boys started teasing him as the boy in question froze, his eyes unwillingly finding those of Amber's. Her expression was unreadable, and though it was the last thing he wanted, he found himself saying "sure." 

Amber could feel her heart constricting, and before she realized it, she was forcing her tears back and plastering on a smile. "That's really great, Luke," she forced out.

"Oh, and Amber, there's this other guy that I know who's like you for ages. You two should date, too! Imagine all the double date opportunities with Luke..." Amber had never hated Bobby more than she did at that moment. "His name is Tyler, he's a poet, and I'm sure Alex would like him too."

Luke gritted his teeth as he internally cursed the ground that Bobby walked on.

"Sounds like a grand old time," Amber responded, her eyes flashing with fury. Bobby knew he was going to get a firm talking to when the rest of the band left.

The not-so-sly boy hadn't been joking when he said that Tyler and Sarah liked Amber and Luke. And before they knew it, the double date was happening.

It was the most awkward day of both Amber and Luke's lives.

At the end of the night, both Sarah and Tyler could see that their dates didn't like them in that way, and though it hurt, they both ended things on good terms with the other two.

But Amber and Luke's night wasn't finished yet.

The two of them decided to get ice cream after getting ditched by their dates and were walking on the pier at sunset as a result.

"That had to be the most awkward dinner I've ever had," Amber said, "and I have relatives in Alabama."

"Same here, just without the Alabama part," Luke joked. "Funny how we both got dumped on the first date, huh?"

"Yeah. Why'd Sarah leave?"

"She said she could tell that I liked someone else. I kind of felt bad."

"It's the same with Tyler. He's such a great guy, but I don't like him in that way..."

"Is there someone you like?" Luke asked, both terrified and intrigued by what her answer could be.

"Yeah, but he would never feel the same way," Amber started. "He probably only sees me as a friend-"

"Then he's an idiot if he can't see how insanely amazing you are," Luke replied, cutting her off. "If he can't see how gorgeous and smart and kin-"

It was Amber's turn to cut him off, but not in the way he was expecting. She silenced him when she pressed her lips to his, unable to hide her feelings any longer. Pulling away, she could see how shocked he was, and all she could think about was how she had most likely just ruined their friendship.

"I-I'm sorry," she said, walking away so he couldn't see her face.

"Amber, wait," Luke yelled, running after the girl after his head stopped swimming. The girl kept walking, but he grabbed her hand and pulled her into another kiss, this one deeper and longer than the last. After they pulled apart, the two smiled at each other for nearly two minutes before saying a word.

"You have no idea how long I've been waiting to do that," Luke breathed, his hand absentmindedly moving to push a stray piece of her hair behind her ear.

"Really?"

"Really."

It was a good first date.

(AN: as much as i hate bobby, i wanted to make him a bigger part of this book. ngl i low key love his little matchmaking... felt like that'd be something he would do hehe anyway let me know what you thought! idk if i should do more of the backstory of the relationship or if i should just skip around and explain things as they come up...? but here's two chapters in one night!)