first impressions

Luke was never one to believe in love at first sight

Luke was never one to believe in love at first sight. Sure, he secretly liked the idea of it, but he would never admit to it. Then again, what fourteen-year-old boy in 1992 would?

Amber was the opposite of her brother, who was a hopeless romantic. She firmly believed that Alex was the only boy she would ever meet that genuinely believed in love and the idea of "soulmates." Amber... not so much. Sure, it was appealing to think that there was someone out there who was destined to be with you, but the overall idea was ridiculous. But she would never say it, for Alex's sake.

It was a sunny day when the twins were walking back from their favorite spot near the rocks of Santa Monica when they saw two boys playing their guitars and singing, drawing a crowd and a little bit of cash. Alex immediately walked towards them, drumming out a rhythm on his thighs. Amber followed, but she had never been into music as much as Alex was.

After another song or two, the boys began to pack up. One with shaggy brown hair started to take his beanie and walk around to the people in the crowd, beckoning for them to donate money. "Thank you all so much! We're Sunset Curve!"

"Tell your friends," the other added with a smile.

The crowd dispersed, and though Alex was ready to leave, Amber saw an opportunity that she wasn't about to let her twin pass up.

"Looks like your band isn't quite complete yet," she said, making eye contact for the first time with the lead singer.

When brown met blue, Luke could swear that his heart stopped. He had never seen the girl before, but all he wanted in that moment was to know more about her. The boy was intoxicated by her, not that he'd ever admit it.

Amber's heart skipped a beat as the boy grinned at her, the smile reaching his bright blue eyes and brightening the world around him. Even after a single encounter, Amber knew she wanted to make him smile every chance she could.

"Yeah... we still need a drummer," he responded. "Do you play?"

"Oh, no," Amber laughed. "Last time I tried to play music was in fifth grade with the clarinet, and let's just say that it was... an experience."

"They kicked her out of the school band," Alex commented, joining the conversation. "She was that bad."

"I didn't know they were allowed to do that," Luke replied with a laugh.

"There's a first time for everything... anyway, I'm not a drummer, but I happen to know an incredible one."

Alex's cheeks turned pink when he realized what his twin was trying to do, and as he tried to walk away, Amber grabbed his arm, forcing him to stay and talk.

"Oh really? Who?"

"This one right here," Amber said with a proud smile.

"That's rad, dude, you should play with us sometime," the other guitar player said.

"O-Oh, sure," Alex said with a small blush. He wasn't used to the attention, but he was genuinely excited for the opportunity to play. "I'm Alex."

"Reggie."

"I'm Luke," the beanie boy said with a smile. "And who might this lovely lady be?"

"Someone way out of your league," Reggie replied, making everyone laugh.

"I'm Amber," she responded. And in that moment, Luke knew he wanted no one else.

Alex's female half went to every rehearsal, gig, and hangout, becoming an honorary member of the band within the first week. Finally, after about two months, she mentioned another friend of hers who happened to be a rhythm guitarist.

"I really think he could be a great addition to the band," Amber said, pitching the idea to the others. "His name is Bobby, and he's our next door neighbor. We've been best friends for years."

Luke felt a pang in his chest as he internally mocked her words. He would never admit it, but he was jealous of a boy that he hadn't even met. However, Reggie noticed the tension and whispered "don't worry. She's only saying they're friends." Luke relaxed slightly, but still held his reservations. But, when it came time to vote, he agreed with Bobby joining the band because he knew it would make Amber smile.

"Great, I'll go get him! I told him I'd pitch the idea to you guys, so he's actually waiting outside in his car..."

As Amber left, Alex turned to the other two boys. "I've already had this talk with Bobby, but I need to have it with the two of you too. Amber is my little sister, and I know how close she's getting to both of you. But neither of you are allowed to date her, okay? For her sake and mine. It would mess up everything for the band's dynamic and it would kill her to lose one of you if there was a messy breakup. Kapeesh?"

It was the first time Alex had ever really been assertive with the other two boys, so they knew it was serious. But that didn't stop Luke's face betraying his distraught emotions.

"Okay," Reggie said, eying Luke to try and gesture for the other boy to do the same.

"Especially you, Luke. God only knows how many girls like you, and how many you've strung along for fun. Don't deny it, you've talked about it before. But this is my sister we're talking about. She's more than a game."

"I know that," Luke defended, knowing that he couldn't dismiss the rest. Alex had every right to be worried. The lead singer was only fifteen (his birthday being a week before), but there were plenty of girls who liked him, and who he had led on for fun. He was a teenage boy, what else was he supposed to do? But deep down, he knew that it was only an excuse for the fact that he knew that he couldn't have the one girl he truly wanted. Because she would never like him like that, and because her brother was scary when he was serious. "Okay."

"Good," Alex replied as Amber walked in with Bobby.

The boys met their fourth member, and things seemed to click almost instantly. They played together, and even Amber had to admit that it felt like magic. Bobby only grew on Luke when he mentioned that he had a garage that they could use as a studio to practice in.

A year later, they were playing gigs at their school, book clubs, night clubs, and anywhere else Amber could book them. She had become their unofficial manager, being able to talk her way into any place she wanted. The band was starting to take off, and their fanbase started to grow by the week.

But that wasn't the only thing growing. Amber had started to see the lead singer as more than a friend. And though she knew it was forbidden (Alex had told her never to date any of the boys), she couldn't help but blush at the boy's subtle winks and small smiles. The girl would deny it, but deep down she knew that she couldn't ignore it for much longer.

She had it bad for Luke Patterson. But she was positive that he would never like her in that way.

(AN: i'll keep going with the regular story after they reunite at the club, but i want to do a bit more backstory first! let me know if you want more of the luke and amber cheesy stuff, i have some ideas but idk how much i should put bc i don't want it to be too much...)