Thirteen

The next week John and I were up in my room, door open of course, mother's rules.

She wanted to protest so badly to my relationship, but she bit her tongue. I could tell it was for my sake because she could tell John made me happy. We would see how long this would last, I suspected it wouldn't as I grew more ill.

John had really made an effort as well, he brought her flowers today when he had come in. He could be a charmer when he turned it on, I nearly started to laugh when I heard his manners which he seemed to turn on so well.

John had begun flipping through my record collection for fun, praising me for my taste in music as well as teasing me for a few or my guilty pleasure listens.

"Love me tender, love me sweet," John sang in almost a mumble to himself as his eyes fell on my "Elvis' Golden Records" compilation album, doing a rather goofy impersonation, the side of his upper lip pulled up just like Elvis.

"For a moment, I really thought he was here." I teased looking up from my Edgar Allen Poe book, sitting against the headboard of my bed.

John let out a genuine laugh, putting the records down, coming to sit himself down on the edge of my bed with mischief in his eye.

"Have you ever written anything? Poetry? Music?" John seemed curious looking at the book I had just put aside.

My cheeks flushed of colour, I had, but John was much better at it then me, I was embarrassed.

John quickly read my expression, a smirk visible as he chuckled.

"You 'ave. Well let's have a look then." He spoke smiling wildly in excitement.

"Only, if you promise not to make fun." I hesitated with a pained look, watching his brown eyes twinkle like a child who's seen sweets. I knew he wouldn't give up until I showed it to him.

He was secretly a big old softie, but he would deny anything ever happening to his mates where he wasn't being sarcastic and tough.

He nodded drawing an X over his heart with his index finger jokingly.

"Promise," he laughed lightly with a small smirk. I motioned for the notebook on my desk and he got up to grab it, coming back and plopping himself right beside me on the bed.

I cringed as he started to flip through them, my head falling on his shoulder to look at the words he was reading. His interest seemed to peak at one of the more recent ones.

"Now you're mine
My happiness, dear, makes me cry
And in time
You'll understand the reason why
If I cry, it's not because I'm sad
But you're the only love that I've ever had"

He turned to me, seemingly impressed after he read the verse.

"Oh, that one's nothing." I blushed gently taking the notebook from his hands, the verse being most definitely about him.

"I like it," he paused with a smile reading it over once more, "could I use it in a song?"

My eyes widened in fright of the question, picking my head up from his shoulder.

"Please?" He batted his eyelashes overly sweetly in a joking manner.

"Erm, knock yourself out." I was shocked he thought it was good enough, and another part of me thought he might use it anyway.

He put his hand to my cheek, giving me a soft thankful kiss.

I returned it for a moment before breaking away quickly, terrified of what my mother might do if she were passing by.

My eyes flicked to the door to check in paranoia, John putting his lips on mine again trying to get more out of me, cheeky.

It was moments like these I had been longing for, ones where I could just be normal, and John was amazing at making me feel normal, but the happiest I'd ever been.

John's hand trailed down to my waist, playing with the hem of my shirt teasingly.

"Everyone's home." I whispered breathlessly looking deeply into his eyes, grabbing the hand that was suggesting more to stop him. The last thing I needed was someone walking in and both John and I getting kicked out.

"Right." He chuckled sitting back, moving his hand away.

"What's everyone else up to tonight anyway?" I asked clearing my throat, referring to his mates after a moment of our breath steadying.

"Bah, some party at Rory's, another mate of ours." He shrugged it off intertwining his fingers over his torso as he laid flat staring at the ceiling, seemingly to calm himself down from his previous moment of, excitement.

"You didn't want to go?" My eyes widened, it was completely unlike him.

Why we were sitting doing nothing in my room was beyond me, if there was something John Lennon was good at, it was partying. Something felt off with his physical reaction to the question as he shifted uncomfortably, though I wasn't entirely sure what about.

"Well Ritch is in Rory's group so," John trailed off quickly, seeming like he was giving me the easy response for his not wanting to go.

"You can't be mates still? John, that argument was silly, I still think you should give him another chance, he's a nice lad." I encouraged him with a smile.

He looked at me pained knowing I wanted to go.

"Well, what are we waiting for then? Come on." John grinned through what I'm sure was an undertone of hesitantly, getting up knowing I really wanted to get out of the house.
_______________

I had told my parents we were going out to catch a movie, however the real "ticket money" was going to the bus fare to Rory's. My dad seemed not to buy it as much as my mum, giving us an encouraging wink as we left.

We had arrived at the house shivering from the cold outside only to be greeted with the sweltering heat inside of the small house due to how many people it was packed with inside.

John and I had to maneuver ourselves through people dancing everywhere in the house to get to the kitchen for a drink.

"Are you alright?" I smiled brightly up at John seeing he was looking across the crowded room slightly nervous.

He nodded trying to lower his raised shoulders to appear more at ease though everything about it was forced.

I took a quick glance around the room looking over the crowd for a familiar face, immediately regretting the decision as my eyes fell on quite a sight to see.

"What is it-" John questioned softly before his eyes fell on the scene himself.

Ringo and Cynthia, John's ex girlfriend, kissing.

Maybe we should've stayed home.