Five

My eyes blinked open slowly the next morning to see I was in John's bed, peaking over the edge to see John on the floor, sleeping with solely a blanket and pillow.

He was squirming beginning to wake as well, most likely from hearing me wake up.

"What are you doing on the floor? Couch wasn't comfortable?" I squinted from the light shining into the room, looking down to him with a coquettish look.

"You could've had your bed." I reminded him feeling a tinge if guilt seeing as he had very poor sleeping conditions, obviously finding the couch to not be sufficient.

I suspected he feel asleep in the ground next to be to feel like he was near incase I needed him, protectively, which made a warm tinge of a feeling move throughout my chest.

"I know, I'm comfortable." He moped sleepily moving to his side with a groan, putting a hand on his sore back.

"Looks like it." I giggled with a shake of my head, he opening one eye to peep up at me and smile lazily.

I lifted myself up off the pillow sitting up and hanging my feet off the side of the bed. John was evidently struggling to wake himself letting out another groan.

"Five more minutes." He whined moodily.

"Me mum will call the rozzers, tellin 'em I'm a missing person or something." I laughed though I knew it could've been a possibility.

"Right." He remembered, forcing himself to sit up, looking as if his head weighed a ton.

He was squinting worse than I was, and I could tell he needed his glasses which somehow were rarely seen helping his sight.

I picked them up from his nightstand and extended them toward him, "can you even see anything without them?" I inquired curiously, seeing him clearly not wanting to put them on, embarrassed.

He shrugged, "I don't like wearing them." He grumbled wiping sleep from his eye.

"I saw you wear them when you walked into the cafe. I like them." I encourage as he put them on hesitantly.

He hummed funnily, lifting an eyebrow suggestively from behind the glasses after he'd put them on.

I stepped around John as I got off the bed, shaking my head at him blissfully, grabbing my clothes from a pile on the floor where I had changed to Johns shirt, beginning to make my way to the bathroom to change.

Once the two of us had gotten somewhat decent I decided to call my mum, knowing it might be easier to be yelled at over the phone.

"Hello?" She answered causing me to wince nervously.

"Mum? It's Elle." I spoke holding my breath, waiting for her to shout.

"Ellie? Is something wrong? How's your aunt Joan doing?" She inquired, obviously thinking I ended up going away with my father and siblings for the night.

My eyes widened in shock.

"She's great," I lied feeling an immense amount of relief, "I'm fine, I just wanted to see how you were." I spoke shutting my eyes tightly realizing how idiotic it sounded.

"Fine," she laughed lightly, "I thought I'd see you when I got home, but I'm glad you felt well enough to go." She sounded happy.

"Yeah, I'm great." I laughed nervously.

"I'll see you at home after work alright? I better be off." She spoke.

I couldn't believe how easily I had gotten away with it all as I hung up with a goodbye, seeing John come out of the bathroom questioning why I looked so upbeat.