Chapter 13

RHEANA

"I'm coming with you."

"Um, what?"

I raise my eyebrows at Kylie. "I'm not letting you meet up with some guy you've only talked to over text alone. What kind of friend would I be if I just left you to get assaulted??"

The blonde rolls her eyes. "Zach wouldn't do anything to me."

"And how do you know that?"

"I just do." 

"That's why I'm coming with you."

Kylie shoots me a glare. "No, you're not coming Rheana," she says in a low voice.

I return her glare, looking her straight in the eyes. "Why do you want so badly for me not to be there?"

The girl pauses, glancing away and breaking our eye contact. 

I continue watching her sit in silence, my glare softening, but my gaze never leaving her face.

Finally she sighs, turning her head to look at me. "Because if you come, I'm basically irrelevant."

Confused, I frown at Kylie, cocking my head a little to the side. "What do you mean?"

An apologetic expression washes over her face. "Um, nevermind. I didn't mean it Ree. It's fine, you can come if you really want." Standing up quickly she walks past me, brushing my legs with hers as she mutters something about going to the bathroom. 

I frowned, watching my best friend as she walks away from me down the plane aisle, ponytail swishing behind her.

KYLIE

She doesn't see it.

She doesn't see how perfect she is, how I'm always in her shadow.

She has the perfect life. No drama, stable relationship with her perfect boyfriend, lots of friends.

Compared to her I'm just a little girl, someone who overreacts to everything, makes dumb jokes, chasing after any guy who gives me a second of attention.

Not to mention how gorgeous she is with her smooth, coffee toned skin, sparkling dark eyes, perfectly done hair every single day. Her makeup is always perfect too, never too much.

And even when she goes makeup free she's beautiful. 

I'm just the friend of the person everyone wants to be friends with. 

I place my hands on either side of the airplane sink, staring at my reflection as I let a few tears slip down my cheeks. 

Quickly wiping them off my cheeks, a splash some cold water on my face, trying to get rid of the redness around my eyes.

Composing myself, I gain control over my emotions, smooshing them deep inside me. 

Checking my reflection in the tiny mirror, I'm satisfied with a job well done of getting rid of all evidence of my tears, and I open the door, leaving the disgusting airplane bathroom and heading back to my seat.

Rheana has her AirPods in, her attention fully focused on her laptop screen in front of her.

She's watching some show about vampires again. 

I thought she was over that phase by like junior year but apparently it's her favorite show still. 

Imagine not being over your vampire lust phase.

I mean yeah, the actors are hot. 

90's Ian Somerhalder?

Muah.

But I really don't need to deal with some stupid vampire show anyway. 

I mean really, what could it possibly be about for 8 seasons??

"I sucked some blood yesterday."

"Oh no way man me too."

Wow so interesting. 

Insert eye roll.

Pulling out my own set of AirPods, I grab my iPad out of my carry-on bag, planning to listen to some music while reading my ebooks for the remainder of the flight. 

What am I reading?

Why the twilight books of course.

No I'm kidding. Did you not just read about how stupid I think vampires are?

I'm reading The Wolves of Mercy Falls series over again.

Now those are books that deserve a show.

Werewolves? Yes ma'am.

ZACH

My phone in hand, my leg bounces nervously.

How do I tell Jonah that I'm going to have to miss the arrival of his friends?

He's going to kill me and dump my corpse in a river.

It's gonna be worth it though.

I mean I hope so anyway.

I hop up off the couch as soon as Daniel and Corbyn walk into the living room from the balcony, both of them giving me a weird look.

Daniel frowns at me. "Why the hell are you awake? I usually have to get you up 20 minutes before we leave anywhere. Which would be why you're always late." He looks at me pointedly. 

"I'm assuming you said the same thing to Corbyn here right? Oh wait. No you probably didn't." I cross my arms across my chest, "if you must know, I'm trying to figure out how to tell Jonah something that I know he's gonna kill me for."

Corbyn and Daniel exchanged a glance. "What do you have to tell him?" Corbyn questions.

I frown, chewing on my bottom lip and debating wether or not I should tell them.

"Fine I'll tell you," I say after a moment, narrowing my eyes at the two older boys, "but only if you promise not to tell Jonah."

Both boys nod their heads in consent, and they walk over to sit on the couch near me.

"So." Daniel raises his eyebrows at me in question, waiting for me to spill.

I shove my phone into my pocket, and clasp my hands in front of me, leaning my elbows on my legs and looking at my two band mates. 

I take a deep breath before letting the words spill quickly out of my mouth. "So basically I'm gonna have to miss the arrival of Jonah's friends today because I'm going out to meet up with a girl."

Both of the older boys stare at me blankly for a moment, registering what I had said.

Suddenly Daniel starts laughing, and Corbyn turns his head to look at him and starts laughing too. 

My brows furrow. "What?"

Still laughing, Corbyn gasps for air. "Oh man, you are so dead. Choosing a girl over making Jonah happy." The brunet doubles over, clutching his stomach as he continues laughing. 

"Ha ha," I say, my voice devoid of any humor. "Some help you two are."

The boys slowly cease laughing, and Daniel wipes a tear off his grinning face, "I suppose we could come up with an excuse for you." He glances at Corbyn, and they exchange a mischievous smirk. 

I know better than to trust the two of them when they get this way, but it's not like I have much more of a choice right now.

I nod my head at my band mates, and the two of them stand up and walk back down the hallway, their heads together as they come up with some excuse for me.

Oh no what did I just get myself into.