Chapter 4

Kylie

I storm out the door, grabbing my keys and slamming the door. Rheana can find her own way out.

As I get to my car, a black SUV, I slide into the drivers seat, rest my head back, and sigh.

I never know what to do with my life sometimes. 

Sighing again, I put the keys in the ignition, and slowly pull out of the parking ramp. 

Rheana

I look back at Jonah on my phone, then back at the door, speechless.

Well that didn't go as planned.

"Well that didn't go as planned." I hear Jonah's voice say, and I look back at him with a face that says 'ya think?!'

"Ok bye Jo" I say abruptly "I need to check on her and get her to calm down." When he opens his mouth to say something, I press the hang up button and put my phone in my back pocket. 

She said she needed some iced tea... that usually means Caribou for Kylie, so I guess that's where I'm headed. 

Walking out of Kylie's apartment, I take out the spare keys she gave me so I can come and go whenever I want, and lock her door behind me.

Quickly, I rush down the stairs to where I parked in the parking ramp, hop into my dark green Jeep, and head towards the nearest Caribou.

Kylie

I sit at a table in the corner sipping my coconut mango black iced tea while browsing Instagram, looking at everyone having fun with their friends and remembering just how lonely I am. Before I fall deeper into the pit of depression, my phone buzzes, showing a text from Zach.

Z: Yo

A smile creeps on my face as I read the two-letter text so I reply, glad to have something to take my mind off Jonah and Rheana being terrible, back-stabbing friends. 

Messages: Kylie and Zach 

K: Yo yo Oreo

Z: What?

Z: Nvm. I have a really important question and I will cry if you get it wrong

K: Um ok

Z: Ok so you know how an Oreo is cookie cream cookie? 

K: Yeah...

Z: Ok so what would an Oreo be called if it were cream cookie cream? 

K: Fr. this was your very important question

Z: Yes now what would it be called?

K: Um...

K: Cookies and cream?

Z: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO x infinity

Z: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

Z: ITS NOT THAT HARD

Z: 😭😭😭😭😭

K: Um sorry? 

K: What was the right answer?

Z: REORE YOU DUMB ILLITERATE HUMAN

Laughing in the corner of Caribou, I don't notice when the door opens, and, instead of going to the counter, comes right up to me and slides into the seat across the table.

"Kylie." A voice says gently, and I look up slowly, staring daggers into my best friends eyes.

K: I have to go and deal with my best friend who happens to also be an illiterate human at the moment 😒🙄 

Z: Ok have fun!

"What do you want?" I snap at her. "Can't a girl just drink her Caribou in peace?" I look into her eyes and see a flash of hurt for a split second before her gaze turns warm again, with a hint of . . . excitement?

"Do you promise to actually listing this time?" Rheana asks with exasperation. 

"I guess." I mumble, taking another sip of my iced tea. Dang this stuff is good.

"You have a temper problem you know that right?" 

Yes I know that. I can't believe she even asked. I've always gotten angered faster than I should. I roll my eyes at her and look out the window next to me. 

I hear her sigh, and right as about she is going to say something, she looks past me and her entire face lights up in happiness. 

Quickly, I turn around and see a guy smiling and walking toward my table, undoubtedly smiling because of Rheana.

Rheana jumps up and practically flings herself into the mans arms, squealing "Josh!" He kisses her on the cheek and sets her back down on the ground again. 

I feel a glimmer of happiness at seeing Rheana and her boyfriend so happy together, because for some reason, seeing other people happy together makes me happy, and then I remember that I'm supposed to be mad at her, and I turn back to my tea.

Soon, after a few minutes of the couples exchanging their "I've missed you's", and me staring at my phone, Rheana and Josh come over and sit with me. I was really hoping that Rheana would be to caught up in the two of them to remember what she was going to say to me, but from the look Josh is giving me, it seems he knows about this and thinks I am an idiot, but can you blame me for being mad at them when they are obviously keeping secrets from me?

Rheana is about to say something, undoubtedly about this whole situation, when I cut her off with a brisk, "I don't want to hear it." Again, I see a small flash of hurt in her eyes, which quickly gets replaced by frustration and annoyance.

Josh glances at me and says gently, "Kylie, give her a chance. Please."

This is almost too much. I almost feel like I want to explode. 

"No." I say firmly, gathering up my stuff and standing. "I said I don't want to hear it, and I just kinda want to be alone right now. Get that through your thick skull Rheana. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT." 

Rheana's expression goes cold as she says "Then get back to me when you're ready to talk. Even if I don't really feel like having you there anymore, plans are already set, and there is really no changing them. Go brood by yourself for a while and come back to me when you feel like being the Kylie I know."

I'm tired of putting up with this. "Don't count on it." I throw over my shoulder as I walk toward the entrance, tears threaten to spill out of my eyes. I didn't even notice how much it truly hurt to have your best friend tell you they don't know you until the first tear starts to trickle down my cheek as I'm walking out of the entrance. Heading to where my car is parked, a few blocks down.

I few people stare as I walk by, but I really don't care anymore at this point. Opening my car door, I plop down in the drivers seat. It's a beautiful, picture-perfect day, with the sun shining and birds chirping happily. But I feel anything but happy as I quietly let the tears stream down my face as I sit inside my car.