4) Call me

Vik tapped the papers in the file on the countertop to line them up before sliding them back into their spot in the filing drawer. He tilted his head up to check the time on the wall clock. The hands pointed to four o'clock. His eyes jumped to the entrance of the library. One door was propped open giving view to the open hall that students milled through with coffee in their hands from the indoor Starbucks. Then entered Ethan with his paint-stained satchel across his body.

"Fourth week in a row! And always right on time!" Vik chirped.

"Don't patronize me." Ethan groaned.

"Only four more weeks to go and then you never have to hear me patronize you again."

"Four more?!"

"That's what you get for all those times you skipped." Vik watched as Ethan signed his name and time of arrival on the sheet. He walked behind the counter to place his bag down by Vik's under the desk. "Do you know where Josh is?"

"Yeah he was right behind me." They both looked back at the entrance to see Josh trudging in.

"Perfect! Hello Josh." Vik greeted. A vaguely familiar skunk-y smell followed him in. Vik's eyes narrowed and he sniffed the air a couple times before exclaiming, "Eugh, Josh, you stink dude!" An alarmed look flashed in his eyes.

"I do?!" The smelly man shot a piercing glare at Ethan. "I thought you said you couldn't smell it!"

"Well he didn't smell it on me." Ethan blatantly said with Vik still standing next to him.

"Wait, you're high too?" Vik asked him.

"Yeah. You couldn't tell? I thought for sure my eyes would be hella red and noticeable because I'm super fucking high." he topped off his acknowledgment by giggling. Any sort of proudness Vik was feeling for these two drained out of him.

"You guys...!" Vik moaned out in disappointment. "I've got three full carts for you to go through! Since midterms are over, everyone returned their stuff over the weekend." Every book needs to be put back so it can be available as soon as possible otherwise the head library technician complains. Whatever books aren't put away rollover to Vik's responsibility. Although Vik loves the library, he hates working overtime.

"Don't worry, we can get them all organized where they belong in the time." Josh's attempt at reassurance worked very poorly on Vik.

"Are you sure you won't need my help?" He asks, wishing they would accept the extra pair of hands now. There was very little chance these two could complete the task with their sloth-y movements impairing them.

"Positive. C'mon Ethan. We've got three full carts!" he says in a tone Vik couldn't distinguish was mocking him or not.

The stoned duo snickered their way to the back where the carts of book returns sat. Vik made a mental note to check on them thirty minutes from now to see if they would need his help then. In the mean time, Vik had to turn his attention back to his work of organizing papers and filling out damaged book reports. It had been a long day for him and there was still so much homework to due once work ends at 5:30. The paperwork in front of him provided the numbing busy work he needed. It allowed him to turn off his brain for a while, giving a moments rest in the fast-paced cycle of college life.

"Hi Vik." A gingerly voice spoke from behind. There was Harry leaning over the counter with his hands clasped together.

"Hey Harry!" Vik replied, trying to add some much needed pep to his tone. "Did Tobi text you?" When Vik glanced over his shoulder to better hear Harry's response, he caught the blonde boy sneaking a peek at the sign in sheet behind the counter. It was clear he wanted to know if a certain person was here today. However, Vik decided to ignore his not-so-subtle peek.