13 | Stupid Little Kiss

The growl in his chest reverberated between us as he pulled himself out of his haze

My bottom lip throbbed, swollen and wet as my mind caught up with what had just happened between us.

My stomach swirled with confusion as I pushed him away. "I'm sorry. I'm just- I'm not..."

I hugged myself as I lowered my gaze to the damp soil beneath my feet.

I could feel Phelan's eyes on me.

"You have done nothing wrong. I owe you the apology. I got swept up in the moment and it was not appropriate of me."

His robotic explanation only added to my confusion but I could relate to it. I too got swept up in the moment, but most of all I struggled to understand how it even became to be one.

"Come. It's getting dark and we should be heading back."

I watched as he gestured with his head, ensuring I was following before taking the lead.

I guess he decided that awkward silence was better than potentially saying the wrong thing but my mind was nothing like the void between us.

What just happened? Why did it feel so... so... good? Why couldn't I stop myself and why didn't I want to?

What was he thinking? I'd seen the absolutely stunning female werewolves in the pack, what could he possibly see in me?

Perhaps that was it. My experience with Hale taught me many things, but one thing that had remained at the forefront was that it was all about numbers with men. It clearly meant nothing to him. He didn't even act phased.

More fool me. My eyes bore daggers into Phelan's back as I followed behind him. I was stewing.

I was no fool.

"So, I guess you got another one to add to the tally list." I smirked at my sass.

Fuck you, I thought. I know your game and I will call you on it.

He sounded annoyed. "What are you on about Edie?"

"A man like you. I know how women would view you. It just hurts a bit is all. You almost had me fooled."

He scoffed before turning around, sticks crunching between his feet as he almost crashed into me.

He gestured his fingers against the side of his temple. "Whatever it is you think you know Edie.... you don't. Let it go."

I couldn't help it. I purposely barged into his shoulder as I walked off, leaving him trailing behind me.

"You men are all the same. I hope it was worth it." I muttered, ignoring the pain in my arm from slamming past him.