29 | Run and Hyde

My ears rung as the earth swayed before me. No longer standing, my knees dropped to the ground as my eyes remained locked on his.

Playing in slow motion, I wanted to wind back time but couldn't.

I watched helplessly as a trickle turned to torrent, spilling down his shirt and turning it from beige to red.

His eyes spoke his resignation, and his regret. I shook my head as if in reply to the fact he knew it had to end this way. It didn't.

I had only just found him to have him so cruelly taken away.

My father.

He was stoic in the face of what they'd done. Refusing to give them the satisfaction of a fight, no matter how easily lost. No expression. No tears. Acceptance.

It was as if it was just the two of us. Everything else faded to black, my focus razor sharp, my senses attuned and alert.

My gaze wouldn't let go of his, refusing to let him die alone.

My heart held him where I couldn't.

But it was when he smiled, the corner of his lips edging upward as his face softened that I knew he was giving his final goodbye.

And I gave mine as he surrendered to the night.

~

Clawing at the dirt, a strangled, pained howl quaked through the cold night air, ripping away the stunned silence. My body trembled before a blood fuelled rage tore through me. Every cell burned as I felt my bones snap and bend, contorting as I whipped around uncontrolled.

Tearing around to face Leila, I clawed through the air in manic fury as I launched at her before my mind could process what was happening.

I couldn't control it. I couldn't control my thoughts, my movements or my actions. Each second that passed saw me lose all sense of humanity as I ran off an unabated quest for revenge.

I felt my mind fall into depths of darkness that I never knew I could feel... Falling, falling into a dangerous pit of despair as another part of me fought to the surface, gasping for air, clawing, climbing for her chance at retribution.

I could feel the ground shake with each ripple of my changing form. Every second in the cold, night air bringing me closer to my wolf as I felt myself transform.

I was a bystander on high alert, watching as my wolf took in Leila's fear, winding her further into a state of unravel.

My wolf was rabid. Wild. Unhinged. I didn't have time to process the feeling, the sensation of sharing a form, a body... with another soul. My wolf.

There were two of us, but it was all her doing now. I couldn't control her, and I couldn't hold back her dominance and power as she unleashed years of anger, hurt and pain on our behalf.

Leila's eyes stunned open in a state of shock as she could do nothing but take the impact.

You fucking bitch!

My wolf twitched at hearing my voice, further pushing her into madness as she became hellbent on her cause.

Colliding against her, she threw her down, claws ripping through her shoulder and opening an angry wound that splattered blood like paint to a canvas.

I could taste the metallic tint smear across my wolf's gnarling jaws, and felt her delight and satisfaction at having a taste of things to come.

She would be fucking easy, fucking end her! I thought as we circled her, giving her a moment to grapple with her situation.