27 | Lying in Wait

Drip...

Drip...

Drip.

"I'm sorry... I forget that your hearing is far more sensitive than my own."

Despite not meaning too, William's pottering around the lab had woken me up. It had been six days of the same routine. He would arrive around seven in the morning each day, take my blood, look under microscopes, gaze intently at his computer screen, curse inwardly on occasion, engage in careful and selective banter with me, and then leave for the night.

Meanwhile, I spent my days lying in isolation. My mind fixated on Phelan and drawing all terrible conclusions and worst case scenarios about not having the chance to say goodbye. I halted my barrage of questioning of William as well. I didn't want to push my luck, not wanting to risk Leila finding out, or have her walking in on a conversation that could be misconstrued and put both of us at risk.

On the odd occasion, Leila or another werewolf would check in on William, ensuring he was doing his job, but I was otherwise left alone.

I preferred it that way. The truth was, I was feeling myself becoming weaker and weaker. I no longer had the strength to push against the mate sickness. I could barely stand, every bone ached, my stomach a constant state of nausea, and my head a splitting migraine that fractured every semi-coherent thought I was able to muster.

The only thing I did that passed the time, was pull at the tiny threads that were within the blanket I had been so kindly given for the cold that was this room. Weaving the thread around my finger again and again, I'd watch it turn purple as I cut off circulation in the hopes that it would distract me from the pain that I was in.

That was until today.

~

His voice was soft but frantic, immediately pulling me from my thoughts. Startled, I pushed myself upright as I groaned at the intrusion.

I watched William carefully as he sat beside me, bringing a paper cup to my lips as he scanned the laboratory.

The urgency of his movements instantly had me concerned.

"Edith. Drink this."

He pushed it closer, his eyes full of concern like a silent plea for my cooperation.

"What is it?" I whispered.

"Mate sickness is like a bacterial infection. The longer you are away from your mate, the more it multiplies."

"And?"

"Oh, sorry... yes. I made a sort of anti-biotic, for lack of a better term, that will stop the sickness. Feign it, play along, and within a few days you will be back to full strength without them knowing. We can plan the rest later."

"Are you for real?!" My breath hitched in anticipation. I couldn't believe it. I stared at the liquid in the cup, gingerly grabbing it from his hands. It looked harmless. William was harmless. What did I have to lose?

Without further question, I tipped my head back like it was a shot of tequila, before handing him back an empty cup.

I wiped my mouth with my sleeve.

"Why are you helping me?"

He scrunched the cup before putting it in his jean pocket and placed his hand on my shoulder. "I can't win against these bastards... but you... you can."

"Not alone I can't! Jesus!"

I mean, I was by no means ungrateful, this was my ticket out of here, but it still wasn't quite enough.