23 | The Temptress

"So that's what shifting feels like?"

Phelan arched an ashy brow as he pondered my question, his eyes scrutinising me as he did so.

"Usually it is very swift. Your wolf has been dormant forever..." his voice drifted. "A hybrid is unheard of, no one really knows what to expect."

I fiddled with the hem of my grey woollen sweater, before peering up at him cautiously. "Yeah, but I felt something. My body... something within me changed."

I burrowed my legs further under me as I nestled into the cushions on his sofa. I diverted my gaze to the fireplace, despite not knowing why I was avoiding his heated stare.

Liar.

His voice pulled me out of what was sure to be a internal monologue of fierce debate.

"How did it feel, describe it," he asked as he studied me intently.

I mulled over all the words I could use to surmise the experience, but it was difficult. It was as unconscious as breathing.

"It is hard to describe..." I mused. "I felt powerful, but I also felt like I became someone else. I guess now that's it's over, I can see how you could get hooked to the high it gives you."

"Controlling your wolf is a skill... those who can't, turn rogue."

"Ah yes... I remember you mentioning that. They're packless, right?"

"They are- but that is due to the risk they bring. Rogues are shifters that have lost their humanity, they live to hunt and to kill.. nothing else."

"Did you get them here before I arrived? I still worry the pack is unnerved with the risk I bring..." I trailed.

He offered a coy smile in reassurance.

"We have good relations with bordering packs, any sightings are reported to each other and dealt with swiftly. I assure you they are no risk to us here and no one resents your presence."

"But there are other risks... what happens when The Guild loses their patience?"

He stood up from his chair, before he walked over and pulled me up by my hand. "Come here."

I was almost breathless as I fell against his chest. My softness pushing into his hardness as he stared down at me, his forearm around my back as he caged me against him.

I watched his eyes rake over me, the glimmer in his eyes making it clear his wolf was stirring beneath the surface. "I don't want you to worry Edie," he affirmed. "You are safe here... where you belong."

Being held against him, with his scent blinding me, left me unable to conjure a single coherent thought. I could not respond.

Cautiously, I lifted my hand, grazing my fingers through the stubble on his jaw. Gently, slowly, burning every detail of him into memory.

I could feel my heart beat pump in a frenzy as I stood nestled against him. His breath had shifted in response as he became aware of my intentions.

"Edie." he rasped as he gripped my forearms, bringing them down.

His voice was cloaked in vulnerability and caution.

"You make this very difficult for me."

His eyes were like the embers from the same flames I'd been watching. Although I wasn't the most experienced with men, I knew exactly what he was thinking.

I saw his gaze avert to my lips, an automatic bite down that I couldn't control ensued that I mentally scolded myself for.

I knew was playing with fire, but I wanted to be set aflame.