24 | Hale Storm

Wisps of sunlight peered beneath the curtains, stirring me from my sleep.

I felt like I was laying on clouds, the blankets draped over me, and smiling sleepily, I noted that Phelan was nestled in behind, flush against me.

I wanted to wake up like this, every day for the rest of my life.

I hummed in contentment as his fingers lazily traced my back, gently moving my hair to grant him the opportunity to do so.

"Good morning little temptress..." he cooed as he continued his gentle ministrations across my skin.

His words immediately pulled my mind from the warm cocoon I was in, and bringing the evening before into razor sharp focus.

Feeling me tense with the recognition, Phelan leant in closer behind me, wrapping his arm around me and holding my own between my breasts.

He kissed my neck, the action tender, soothing and apologetic.

"Edie... please don't doubt how I feel about you."

"Well that's a little difficult given your rejection last night." My sour expression invisible to him, but duly noted in my tone.

"Last night wasn't a rejection. I care about you too much to risk it, Edie."

He sounded so sullen before he continued, "I've waited forever for you... I can't just throw it away in a moment of lust," he paused, his voice cracking with emotion. "I will not lose you."

I turned around to face him, my eyes were hunting for any mistruths, but like always he was telling the truth.

Gently he planted a kiss tenderly on my forehead before his fingers traced my lips and down the valley of my chest before holding his palm there.

"This. Your heart is what I want to conquer first."

I slowly digested his words in quiet contemplation before deciding to reveal my own truths given his openness in sharing his own.

"I am not used to having someone who cares about me. It's sad but true, it's how I feel..." I trailed.

"It's so fucked up Phelan. I was being impulsive, I wanted it, damn the consequences."

I buried my head into his chest, too embarrassed to face his scrutiny.

"Edie, what you felt last night was but a sliver of what I feel every second I am near you. It's the bond. You're beginning to feel it."

My voice was muffled as I remained nestled against him, his hand stroking the back of my head. "How do you control it?"

His chuckle was hearty as he tucked a wisp of hair behind my ear. "With a great deal of difficulty..."

"Come here."

He edged my chin up with his finger tip before bringing his lips down to mine.

My eyes closed as I felt his teeth pinch my bottom lip. I moaned to the kiss, letting him take control as his lips lingered on mine.

"Hmm... I hope this makes up for last night Edie."

He felt my small smile as our lips continued in their dance, "yes, it does... although we best stop now before you get an encore of that performance..."