25 | Crossing the Line

I didn't bother leaving a note for Phelan as I knew this would be quick. I'd simply ask Hale what the hell he was doing here, listen to some sob story, and then I'd be all 'Bye Felicia...'

Despite knowing I wasn't doing anything wrong, my stomach churned. I was struck by momentary guilt and hesitation. The other part of me however, brushed it off because I knew I had nothing to be afraid of.

I was strong. I was living amongst the supernatural, a town of werewolves. Had anyone told me this would be my life six months ago, I would have recommended sectioning.

Gnashing jaws, blood and claw became a daily norm. If anyone needed to worry, it was Hale and certainly not me. Besides, I'd be there and back before Phelan even noticed, and I could explain everything to him then.

Hale was my past, and I'd missed the opportunity for closure when he vanished into thin air. I needed this to heal and move on with my life.

~

My knuckles turned white as I gripped the wheel. Each bump in the road dimming the headlights like ghosts taunting a guest in a haunted house.

As the tyres screeched to a halt amongst the gravel road, I made a mental note not to cross the border. I didn't need a repeat of last time.

Seven o four pm.

My watch still ran five minutes fast due to my tendency to run a little late to my old college lectures. I made a mental note at how that seemed like a parallel universe, and so long ago at that. I became a little reminiscent... a little thing like a watch became a memento of the past, proof that I once had a completely different life.

And however grateful for the experiences that helped shaped me, I was growing into myself. My identity, who I was, what I stood for and what I believed all shifting since coming to Haven, and I felt like I'd discovered myself.

Hopping out of the car, the moon's eclipse cast the dimmest of shadows, it was as if she was peeking out from behind her lashes thinking something along the lines of 'I can't watch this shit show...'

Oh ye of little faith.

So there I stood, leaning against the timber signage, Haven. I was not stepping a foot over the proverbial line.

Looking at my watch again, I began to wonder if someone was fucking with me. There was no sign of Hale.

Listening intently, I scanned the forest on either side of the road. Although it was dark, there was no movement. No noise. The only indication that I wasn't alone was the lonely hark of a night owl before it's wings spread in search of it's hunt.

Dipping my hands into my jean pockets, I traced circles with my boot in the dirt. Letting out a sigh I decided to call it quits. Maybe it was a joke. Maybe I'd made a mistake. But before I could conjure a further thought, I saw him.

Without uttering a single word, his frame came into view. It was the strangest feeling. Seeing the man who was my first real relationship walk towards me. He was slow in his approach, walking in the middle of road as if not a care in the world.

I wondered what he was thinking... what he was expecting?

But I knew what I was feeling. It wasn't nostalgia. It wasn't regret. It was a sense of freedom.

So much had changed. I had changed.

I knew my life was on the right path.