Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"Welcome back, Dad."

We elevated from our seats the moment our father entered the private room, looking formal and influential in his black suit. Kuya was the first one to approach him.

"Simeon..." Eyes closed, he hugged his first born tightly. "You grew taller, huh. You can pass as a basketball player."

I watched how he scanned his son with significant adoration. The way his eyes sparkle, it manifests that he feels satisfied with his decision to go back here early. Inalis ko ang tingin doon at inilipat sa buhok niyang tinutubuan na ng puting mga hibla.

"Hmm, are you by any chance giving me permission? Perhaps bola talaga ang nakatadhana kong hawakan at hindi ang kompanya?" my brother jokingly returned.

Nagtawanan silang dalawa.

"Dad..." I tried to snatch his attention.

Ilang paglikot lang ng mata ay nagtama ang mga tingin namin. I perceived how the delight in those pair of grays evanesced. My heart, as usual, sank a bit.

"Viene," solido ang boses niya, halos pormal, ibang-iba sa gamit niya kanina habang kausap ang nakatatandang kapatid.

My father, Felipe de Asis, is already in his fifties but he still looks young. His grey eyes, which we inherited, is the main feature of his chiseled face. My brother, Guinevierre, is almost his spitting image. I can confidently attest especially now that they are situated next to each other.

While me, most of my lineaments are from my beauteous mother. From my heart-shaped face, straight brunette hair, roundish-almond eyes, full lips to porcelain skin. Sabi pa ng ilang mga kamag-anak ay namana ko pati ang ugali nito.

Tipid na kumurba ang labi ko nang mag-alok ang ama ng yakap sa pamamagitan ng pagladlad ng kaniyang mga braso. Tinanggap ko iyon at mahigpit siyang yinapos.

"Welcome back, Dad..." I uttered, face buried upon his redolent suit.

He merely casted a frugal smile and rubbed my shoulder then we head back to the table. As expected, the two of them commenced talking about business-related matters as soon as we settled down. Meanwhile, I silently eyed the Chinese cuisines being placed on the table. Hindi na ako nakisali sa usapan nila dahil sa totoo lang, wala akong hilig sa business.

My choice of SHS strand must be questionable. Well, I selected ABM solely for that is what my father wanted me to take. It wasn't that brutal, he gave me two options naman. It's either I'd pursue ABM or he'd neglect me and make me go back to Australia.

Naintindihan ko naman siya. His decision is for the company. And for us, the inheritors. That's why I chose the first option. Kaming dalawang magkapatid ang magmamana ng kompanyang pagmamay-ari ng ama balang araw. And apparently, we were obliged to take the path that would enhance our knowledge regarding the business world. Kuya Guinevierre was compelled to pursue Business Administration. While me...

"Should we hire a tutor that will teach you Accounting?" The question was thrown at me.

Napabaling ako sa amang nakatitig sa akin. He was all serious.

"The school doesn't teach us Accounting yet. Next semester pa, Dad," I replied.

"I know, hija." He laughed heartily. "I mean, you should have advance preparation, learn the fundamentals of Accounting at that."

"Why hire a tutor if the school will provide the lectures naman po? Sayang lang ang pera-"

"But you're a slow learner."