Prologue

Prologue

Executing the first step is always the hardest, they say. Writing the first chapter of a book, constructing the first verse a song, producing the first strophe of a poem.

I oppose. The execution of the first step doesn't deserve the superlative. Going back to square one does.

Imagine returning to the initial phase you've once suffered from and losing all the progress you've made... It is indeed the hardest.

"Make friends at school, huh?" I distinctly remember those words from my brother on my first day of school as a transferee.

From my previous school in Melbourne, I transferred here in Metro Manila. It was so sudden but it was my decision anyway. I overshared to a trusted friend and then the next day, I was starting to be ridiculed for being bulimic.

For God's sake, I was only fourteen. Handling such detrimental mockeries and hate was too much for a teenage girl, I was ashamed. And it felt as though everyone in that country would know that secret of mine and mock me like what others did. Thus, I decided to abandon that place and go here. Live with my father and brother again.

"Hey, did you hear me?" Kuya prompted. He grinned when he saw me spun my eyes. "I know you're strong. You're independent and capable. But you won't survive if you'll continue to be reclusive. Socialization is a must. So please, make friends, huh?"

Now, back to square one.

Well, I'll just adjust to this new environment and try to strike up a friendship. What could possibly go wrong?

"Weh?! Minessage ka?! Maniwala! Pa'no ka ichachat no'n, e, five thousand lang naman ang subscribers mo?! Siya nasa 500k na!" Kelly, one of the friends I gained, made fun of me when I shared my elation toward the fact that a popular influencer noticed one of my vlogs.

"But I'm telling the truth..." I faked a laugh when she poked our other friends and laughingly broadcasted my 'hallucination'.

Pinagtawanan nila akong lahat. At wala akong nagawa kundi makitawa na lang din.

"Okay, enough of this joke. Sa'n n'yo pala gusto pumunta?"

Our last subject teacher for today did not meet us so we're just waiting now for time to pass. The guards are extremely strict in following our time schedule. They do not let us go outside the school premises until it's really end of school hours, even if we already have our teacher's permission to go home early.

"Guys, I wo-"

"Hey," Kelly interrupted me and smiled. "Let them answer first."

I licked my lips and shut my mouth. I was just trying to say that I won't be able to go with them...

"So, what were you suggesting?" she finally let me speak after they had already adjudicated where they'll go.

"Ah... nothing-"

"By the way, their banana split is so good! The quality..." She didn't even let me finish. They began recommending various ice cream flavors to each other.

They are always like this to me. Making me feel as though I'm left out, taking no notice of me all the time. Well, paano nga naman ba ako makakasabay sa since-elementary friendship nila? I met them just a year ago. And although they're not saying anything, I know they merely included me in their group because I have a handsome brother. And I'm half-Australian.

What am I to them? Definitely a display that they must flaunt.

Whenever I'm getting irked with their inappropriate attitude and behavior toward me, the idea of cutting them off unfailingly nudges my mind. But that was such a huge risk that I cannot afford to take. So, I end up further dealing with them.