[ 21 ]

The strips of beaming light burst from the wands, creating a wisp that soon warped into shields. In this very classroom where winter had come, there were beads of sweat forming on their foreheads despite the chilly coldness. Here, Aine and Harry were having their Patronus lesson with Professor Lupin, the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. The lesson had started almost two hours ago before Aine had collapsed due to her nightmare interjecting her concentration. Nonetheless, she managed to continue, pushing herself through her limits so that she could get better. So that her nightmares will never get the best of her again.

Unlike before, she managed to cast a fully corporeal form of her Patronus, and like before, it came in the form of a winged creature, the same one that she had managed to conjure previously. Its eyes were blank and empty, and the body was skeletal. To others, it may look horrifying because of its appearance, but to Aine, it seemed gentle and beautiful.  

She focused on her happy memory, one of the times she spent hanging out with her incredible friends, just one filled with so much laughter, so much joy. She was different compared to just now. Aine gasps and watches as her Patronus spread its huge wings, as it battles with the hideous Dementor. She could see Harry concentrating really hard from the corner of her eyes, and Professor Lupin beaming as he watches her tackle the beast, pushing it back into the chest, but Aine did not break her concentration.

Almost at the same time, Harry's non-corporeal form had threatened the Dementor he was facing, and the two cloaked beasts fell into where they belonged, and the heavy metal box shut tight, locks shifting and locking. Aine and Harry stumbled backwards and Professor Lupin claps in rejoice. "Marvelous!" he complimented the two who smiled at each other.

"Very good, the both of you!" he went on, "Harry, Harry... You were great at keeping that Patronus long and steady as you fought with that Dementor! Aine, you managed to keep your corporeal form longer than before, and better at that too. Well done, the both of you." 

Aine blushed at the compliment, feeling sheepish, however, Harry was not satisfied. He puffed his cheeks as he sat on one of the stairs, feeling glum. "What's wrong?" Aine asks and he shakes his head, "Up to now, I still can't cast a fully corporeal form of Patronus. It seems silly, doesn't it?" he says moodily.

Professor Lupin and Aine exchanged glances before Aine replied, "I don't think you are. You managed to hold out long enough with your non-corporeal form and I think that's amazing enough. Even I couldn't hold mine steady for more than 5 minutes."

Harry silently scoffed, "You did manage to form a full one, nonetheless, Aine."

Aine bit her lips, "Sorry." she apologized and the Professor stepped in between them, placing a hand on Harry's shoulders, "You did well, Harry. Do not be ashamed of your skills and learning. Everyone starts out differently, but in the end, they'll all managed to reach the desired level they want." he told the boy.

"But I couldn't do something even a person younger than I can!" Harry says, frustrated and Professor Lupin sighs, looking at a very bitter Aine. "But Harry, there are things that you can do even Aine couldn't. Your non-corporeal form held out even longer than Aine did, and although she did manage to conjure a full one, she still needs more training to get focused." 

Ouch. Aine felt a nerve being pulled on her, sure Professor Lupin was right, but she didn't think he would call her out on her flaws. "Sure, professor," Aine mutters, and the man looked to her, his eyebrows slanted sideways and his eyes soften. He didn't mean it that way to her too. But he was right, Aine could feel her energy draining from her even when she musters her strength to create a non-corporeal form Patronus. Not to mention the fact that when she created a full Patronus, she could feel her lips going dry and her strength emptying out from her. She still has a lot of practice to go despite being able to produce a corporeal Patronus.