[ 26 ]

The night was drawn closer, and only the wind sang, carrying soft gentle breezes away, and a faint howl remains. Aine stood closely with her friends, Ron and Hermione, and her Potions Professor, Professor Snape. The man was still shielding them, not wanting to take the risk and let his guard down for one second. It astonished Aine, and her friends, quite a bit. They've never seen this side of their apathetic professor, especially since he was always so grumpy and callous. 

"Why isn't he coming back?" Ron asks and Aine clenches her fists, slowly getting impatient, perhaps she should have run after Harry, the thought of him battling alone with a mad werewolf was unsettling. "Should we go look for him?" Hermione probed and Professor Snape whipped his long greasy locks around, glaring straight at the brunette who was startled, "No. Why don't you three run along to the castle while I fix this mess?" 

"And how will you do that?" Aine questions and his gaze darts at hers, "I beg your pardon?"

"You hated them, didn't you? Who knows what you might do to Professor Lupin and Sirius Black?"

Snape smirked, "I don't think you should concern yourself with them. Or perhaps have you grown soft, Estoileon?"

"I've always been soft. You just didn't notice." Aine says, grinning, and a scoff escaped from Snape's mouth, his expression grew dark. "I advise you to return to your dormitory... All of you."

It was getting on Aine's nerves, every second they were bickering like this, something bad could have happened to her friends. Not to mention the fact that she couldn't quite trust her professor. Sure, he had a point, concerned for their safety (maybe), but she just can't trust him with Black, he'll probably even feed him to the dementors, and Aine definitely did not want that to happen. Not when Harry finally had a family back.

She turned to the direction where she last saw her friend running after the beasts, and back to her friends, Hermione shook her head, clearly figuring out what she would have done. Aine then looks to her teacher, "What friend leaves someone they cared about behind to fend for themselves in front of dangers?"

Snape's brows raised, surprised at her refusal. He almost mustered a smile, a genuine one, but quickly rolls his eyes. "How heroic you are, Estoileon. Or perhaps even foolish."

"Wha—?"

Before Aine could even reply fully, she felt something hitting the back of her neck, and her eyes slowly closing, her consciousness sinking into the abyss. The sight of Hermione reaching out to her and Ron's terrified expression and Snape's unfazed gaze on her before succumbing to darkness. 

~

"What did you do!"

"Aine!"

"PROFESS—"

~

When she woke up again, she saw Hermione's bright big eyes staring straight at hers, "Aine!" her friend called to her, "Oh... Hey Mione." Aine greeted sheepishly, slowly getting up with the help of her friend, "What day is it today?" Aine added and her friend gave a loud sigh, "Are you okay?" 

"Yeah, I'm fine. What happened?"

There was another sigh and Hermione spoke, "You don't remember what happened yesterday?"

"Yesterday?"

"Yes, yesterday. We caught Black, and Professor Lupin turned! And Harry ran after him— and— and— thenyoutriedtoranafterhimandyouwereknockedout!" she tells Aine, her words going by the speed of light. "Wait! Calm down! I can't even tell what you're saying, Mione!" Aine exclaims, and her friend gave another sigh, taking a breath and repeating what she said earlier, slower and enunciating at every word.