Returning Home

November 28, 1883

Erik sighed as he stood from Box 5, watching a bunch of the ballet girls chatter amongst themselves. From his enhanced hearing, he could tell that they were talking of him, or the "Phantom of the Opera."

Rolling his eyes, he returned his thoughts to his compositions. Fidgeting with the ring on his pinky, he groaned.

"Ever since she left, I can't seem to focus!" he muttered under his breath. A loud bang interrupted his thoughts and, looking up, he saw that Madame Giry had banged her staff against the ground.

"Enough foolishness, girls," she commanded. "We are fortunate to have been allowed to come back, and I wish you all to focus on what you are here for, not the previous events. It has been a year since the catastrophe, and now it is all in the past. Now, we rehearse."

As the girls all obediently did as she told them, the dark-haired lady flickered her eyes to where Erik was standing, a knowing look in her face. Then, she turned and watched as the ballerinas began their dance. Her words echoed in Erik's mind.

A year... he thought. A year since my angel left me to go with that idiot, Raoul. A year since I destroyed my lair. A year of anger and pain and exhaustion. Giving out a small growl, the masked man began pacing in his box. How dare she leave me! After all I did for her! Quickly, he corrected his thoughts. It was best for her. Raoul, as much as I hate him, will give her a secure and safe life.

Shaking his head, he turned to leave the box to go home. As he got outside into the fresh air, Erik took a deep breath and began walking to his home. He hurried, since snow was beginning to fall, signifying the beginning of winter.

While he had lived under the Opera Populaire, he had designed a home and had hired others to build it. The man had believed that he and his angel of music would stay there and live together in that house.

All hopes of that were shattered when the girl had returned the ring to him, and Erik had fled the angry mobs, taking refuge in the place. It was merely a 10 minute walk from the Populaire to his home and Erik quickly arrived, grabbing the mail that had awaited him.

Walking in, Erik took off his black shoes in the foyer and set his coat over the back of a mahogany chair. Walking up the wooden stairs, he went into his large office, where papers filled with architectural designs waited on his cherry wood desk.

Ever since his muse had left him, Erik had turned to designing homes and building as a way to fill the day. Even though Erik wished he didn't have to interact with customers, he had learned how to be polite and how to deal with rude people throughout the past year.

The man had decided, after the whole fiasco, that he would never love again, and any feelings towards the girl he had admired had turned to pain and anger. Erik set the mail on the side of the desk, next to an empty cup which had once held black coffee.

If only... Erik thought. Christine, my angel, my muse. What do I do without you?

Shaking himself, he turned to his papers, sitting in his seat and began to design, a composition flowing through his head as he drew lines with his pencil.

The only time he ever heard music in his head now was when he was designing. Once he stopped, the music would stop and flee away, just out of Erik's grasp.

After an hour of designing, the house Erik had been drawing was finally finished. Glancing out the window, Erik realized that the sun had set and decided to get something for himself to eat.

Walking back down the stairs, he quickly grabbed some bread and ham, deciding to make a sandwich. The kitchen was large and spacious, connecting to the dining room, where there were the mahogany chairs and table, with a beautiful chandelier hanging.

Erik quickly finished making his sandwich and sat at the table, grabbing the book, Heidi, by Johanna Spyri. Even though it was supposed to be a children's book, Erik still found interest in it, captivated by the characters.

Once he had finished the ham sandwich, Erik wandered to the living room, book in hand, and sat on the grey sofa, where pillows were scattered all around. He shifted around, getting comfortable and began reading again.

The whole reason Erik loved to read was because it allowed him to escape reality. He was allowed into a world where characters were welcoming and kind, and he didn't have to think about the horror of his face. The things of the world would grow strangely dim and Erik could get distracted from Christine Daae, the one who he had formerly fallen in love with.

Comfortable, with a book, Erik allowed himself to relax and carefully took off his mask, laying it close by, so that, if need be, he could put it on at a moment's notice. Soon, his eyes slowly fluttered closed and he fell asleep.

First chapter done! What do you think?

-randomwriter2007