If Only You Would Listen

May 25, 1886

Lily was cuddled up to Erik in their room as she held Scarlett, who was sleeping, in her lap. The sunlight dappled through the sheer curtains onto the floor, the first sunlight that they had seen in a few days. 

"So what have you been composing recently?" she asked, tipping her head towards him with a smile. 

Eyes lighting up, Erik began animatedly talking about his music, causing Lily to stifle a giggle. He was careful to watch his volume as their daughters slept, but Lily could tell his passion through his tone. 

"And I made a few tweaks in the second movement, which makes all the difference!" Erik exclaimed. Lily smiled, then sneezed rather unexpectedly. "Bless you," he added.

"Thank you," she giggled. "Oh, Meg said Sorelli and Philippe might call today. I am so glad that you and Philippe get along, dearest."

Erik smiled slightly, kissing her on the top of her head. "Yes, he is much more interesting than his foppish brother," he agreed. "How is Meg's voice coming along?"

"Oh, very well," Lily nodded, tucking a lock of her long dark hair behind her ear. "She's still having a bit of trouble on the high notes of 'L'amour est un Oiseau Rebelle,' from Carmen. I think she's overthinking it, which causes her to tense up, and she can't seem to stop."

"I can speak with her, if you'd like," Erik offered. His wife considered it for a few moments before nodding. 

There was a knock, which Erik was able to identify as Nadir's. "Come in, you great oaf," he called, smirking as Lily giggled. 

As the Persian man came in, he glared at Erik. "Rude."

"What brings you here, Papa?" Lily asked before Erik could retaliate. Nadir chuckled at what she called him, remembering when it first accidentally slipped out a few days ago. However, Lily continued, "Is everything alright?"

"Everyone's fine, dear," Nadir chuckled softly. "I just wanted to spend some time with you both, and my honorary granddaughters. Sorelli and Philippe are here, too." A slight frown appeared on Lily's face, but it was quickly whisked away.

She patted the bed, inviting him to sit next to her. He took the invitation, and Lily passed the sleeping Scarlett over to him. Erik watched fondly as his best friend and his wife interacted together. It was something that he hadn't seen that much, but they evidently had a strong bond for Lily to call him "Papa." 

"Anyhow, why aren't you downstairs with the other girls?" Nadir asked. "Do I need to yell at anyone? Is this blithering idiot of a man forcing you to stay with him?"

All three of them laughed, though it was mockingly for Erik. "No, I just wanted to spend some alone time," Lily eventually answered. "Plus, I don't want Sorelli to feel any discomfort around me."

A concerned look crossed Nadir's face, and his eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"I just think she doesn't feel comfortable around because of my eyes," Lily said as she shrugged. "I mean, I can't really blame her, and I don't mind, not when she's such great friends of Maman and the girls." Seeing the man's look, she assured him, "It's ok, Papa, it really is." 

Nadir didn't look convinced, but at Lily's increasing distress and Erik's subtle head shake, he stopped pushing it. Instead, he lightly dropped a kiss on the young woman's forehead, which caused her to smile. 

"Did you notice anything weird about the note that Philippe gave us?" Nadir asked absentmindedly as he admired Scarlett's sleeping face. 

Lily froze, then looked at Erik, who looked equally baffled. "What do you mean?" the man eventually asked.