Stage Fright

"Meg, get back here and try this on one last time, please," Lily called. Her friend came running in from the stage and Lily thrusted the dress towards her, short on time due to the fact that the show started in two hours.

Lily waited for her friend to finish changing, then circled around, making sure that no last minute changes needed to be made.

"Oh, here's the hairpiece as well," Lily added, gently putting it into her friend's hair. "What do you think? Is it comfortable?"

"Yes, I do like it, and it is extremely comfortable," Meg said. "Oh, Lily, I'm so nervous!" The blonde began pacing around and Lily sighed,

"Breathe, Meg, breathe," Lily murmured. The brunette pulled her friend into a hug and Sofia walked in, jumping into the hug.

Sofia said, "You're going to be wonderful and they'll all love you!" They stayed like that for a moment before Lily pulled apart.

Unlacing the dress for Meg, Lily said, "Begin to warm your voice up about 15 minutes before, dear, so that you don't go hoarse onstage. This is what you've been practicing for, and I'm sure Erik is here somewhere to give you a few last minute tips."

Meg nodded, inhaling and exhaling to calm herself. "Okay, I'm going to go look for Erik, then. I'll see you two in a bit. By the way, Lily, you're going to have to come onstage after each show because Monsieur Andre and Monsieur Firmin will be giving a speech after and they wish to tell the audiences who designed our costumes."

Lily sucked in her breath, hands instinctively beginning to scratch her arms. "Meg, you know I can't do that."

"I know and I'm sorry. I tried to tell them not to, but they were insistent about it!"

"Who was?" Erik's voice came from the door. Lily's head shot up, and she immediately began to smile, causing both Sofia and Meg to giggle.

Meg answered his question, saying, "The managers want Lily to come up stage after each performance, but..." Her voice trailed off.

Erik walked over and gently took Lily's hands, keeping her from scratching herself. "Those stupid managers," he muttered softly. Lily hugged him, burying her face into his neck.

"Wait, why are you so worried?" Sofia asked, confused. "Isn't it just standing on the stage and smiling and stuff?"

Meg and Erik exchanged a worried look, Lily choosing to stay out of the conversation. Erik eventually asked, "Lily, are you alright with us telling Sofia?"

Lily nodded against him and Erik sighed. "Well, Lily doesn't do well in front of large crowds, unless she is actually doing something, like dancing or playing an instrument or anything like that. She has a habit of scratching herself if things get overwhelming."

Eyes wide, Sofia nodded in understanding. Lily gave a miserable laugh and said, "I know I don't seem like the type, but I'm a complete failure when it comes to social settings. Balls and masquerades and things like that, I don't mind because I can dance and talk with people I know, but this, I can't do."

"Stop," Erik murmured. "You aren't a failure and it isn't your fault, you can't control it. Meg, are you sure that there isn't anything you can do?"

"The managers are intent on this," Madame Giry called. "I did my best to talk them out of it, but they refused to not do it. I'm sorry, Lily."

Lily sighed and whispered, "It isn't your fault. I guess this means that I have to go onstage." Just thinking about it, her hands went back to scratching her arms, and Erik had to stop her again.

"Sorry," she mumbled. "I think it might be best for someone to stay with me all day today, though, just in case."

Erik nodded, "That might be wise. I can stay with you, since I don't have anything else to do. Meg, I came to tell you to stay hydrated, drink water often, because it will help you sing. Also, good luck. Nervousness is normal, but once you get on stage, you'll forget the crowd and remember what to do."