Chapter 3

I'm re-posting this because it somehow got deleted. I have no idea how it happened. Anyway, it's back up again. I'm going to upload the next chapter too since I have it done. Hope you all enjoy it. :)

(Lainey)

I opened my eyes and discovered a man standing just inside the doorway. My gaze swept over him. He was tall, broad shouldered, and lean. His black hair was short, and his eyes were hazel. He gave off a powerful vibe. Something told me I was looking at the Alpha of this pack.

I tried to push myself up on my elbow.

"No," he said, in a soft yet firm voice as he came toward me. "I want you lying down. You need to take it easy."

I lowered my head back onto the pillow, feeling exhausted. "Are you Alpha William?"

Breaking into a smile, he bowed and said, "I am at your service, my lady. You can call me Will or William. Whichever you prefer."

His smile reached his eyes and lit up his whole face. I couldn't help but notice how handsome he was.

"May I call you Lainey?" he asked, pausing beside the bed.

He was standing over me, something that made me extremely nervous. My discomfort must have shown on my face because he pulled a chair closer to the bed. He unbuttoned his suit jacket and sat down.

"Yes," I said.

"Lainey, I want you to know that you are safe here." William gazed deep into my eyes. "No one is going to harm you. My wolf and I are not going to harm you. All we want is to make you happy."

I frowned at him. "Why would you want to make me happy?"

He leaned forward slowly and took my hand. A strong tingling sensation shot up my arm and quickly spread throughout my body. A small gasp escaped my parted lips. My eyes wide, I gaped at him.

"I feel it too." William's smile was filled with joy. "I don't want to overwhelm you, but there's something you need to know."

"What is it?" I whispered.

"You are my mate," he uttered gently.

It took a moment for what he said to sink in. Once it did, I began to tremble. I jerked my hand out of his grasp. "No, I can't be. I'm not good enough to be your mate. You're an alpha and I'm a nobody. I don't -"

He growled lowly, his eyes turning an amber color.

I squeezed my eyes shut and let out a whimper. Bracing myself for the pain to come, I was stunned when I felt him caress my cheek.

"Open your eyes, Lainey," he ordered me.

I forced my eyes open and saw his were hazel again.

"Breathe, sweetheart," he said, brushing hair out of my face.

It was then that I realized I had been holding it in. I sucked in a deep breath.

"Good girl." He perched on the side of the bed. "I'm sorry for scaring you. My wolf and I -" He stopped talking, his eyes glazing over.

I knew he was talking with someone in his head. I continued to take deep breaths while I waited on him to finish his conversation.

"Sorry about that," he said, several seconds later. "I was talking to one of my warriors. Where was I?"