Chapter 6

Thank you all for your support. It means so much to me. I hope you enjoy the chapter. :)

(William)

I brought Lainey to a halt outside the hall. Laughter and talking could be heard coming from inside. I ignored the noise and concentrated on my nervous mate, who was fidgeting. Placing my hands on her shoulders, I looked into her eyes.

"Relax, Lainey." I gave her shoulders a light squeeze. "No one in there is going to hurt you. I promise you're safe."

She nodded.

Remembering how my scent calmed her earlier, I cupped the nape of her neck and pulled her close to me. She stiffened up. I waited patiently. A minute later, she pressed her face against my chest and I listened to her inhale deeply. Her body melted against mine.

Our mate finds our scent pleasing, Gray said happily.

I smiled. I find her scent pleasing as well.

She smells absolutely mouthwatering, he rasped.

I chuckled inwardly. Easy, buddy.

"I'm ready," Lainey said.

I kissed her temple, reached for her hand, and led her into the room.

"How many members do you have?" she asked me as we walked toward the stage.

"We have 812 members," I answered. "Soon we will have 815 when Waverly has her pups."

"Where are the kids?"

"They don't attend meetings," I replied. "They're back at the house with adult supervision. I converted a room into a rec room for them. They spend a lot of time there."

We climbed the steps and moved to the center of the stage. Conversation stopped and all eyes focused on us. I heard Lainey catch her breath. I wrapped my arm around her waist and brought her trembling body close to my side.

"You're probably wondering why I called this meeting," I said. "There are a few reasons why. One of them is because I want to introduce you all to Lainey Murdoch, mine and Gray's mate and your luna."

Cheering and howling erupted.

"Thank you for the warm welcome," Lainey said, once everyone quieted down, "but you might feel differently after you hear the other reason why this meeting was called." She cleared her throat. "I'm sure you've heard of Alpha Gage Striker."

Growling and booing filled the room.

"I was with him," Lainey continued. "It wasn't by choice, but by force. He was abusive to me. I couldn't take it anymore, so the other night I ran away. I ended up getting lost in your woods looking for a safe place to stay."

Hudson rose from his chair in the front row. "Please, excuse the interruption, Luna. I thought I would jump in and help explain. If that's all right with you."

Lainey nodded.

Hudson shifted until he was facing the pack. "The other warriors and I found her lost and confused. She told us she was looking for old man Wilson's cabin. When she explained why she was looking for his cabin I became concerned for her well-being. I offered for her to stay with us. She was reluctant to accept my offer."