Chapter 7

Here's a chapter for you all. I hope you enjoy it and thank you for your support. It means a lot to me. :)

(Lainey)

"What are you doing sitting here all by yourself?" Waverly asked, lowering herself onto the bench next to me.

"I'm getting some sun and fresh air." I gestured to the flowers surrounding us. "Who planted all of these?"

"Members of the pack," she answered. "Have you gotten enough sun and air?"

"Why do you ask?" I wanted to know.

"I thought we could go shopping." She checked her watch. "You need clothes. You can't wear mine forever. Although that dress does look better on you than it ever did on me. I know Will was checking you out earlier."

I frowned. "He was?"

"Yep." She winked at me. "He was looking at you like you were a glass of water and he was dying of thirst."

"I hadn't noticed," I muttered.

"That's okay," she said. "Let's go shopping. It'll be fun."

"I don't have any money," I said.

"Will gave me his card," Waverly said.

"I can't take his money."

"Will knew you were going to say that." She smiled. "He wanted me to tell you that his money is your money too. He wants you to buy whatever you need or want."

"I can't go without Hudson and Ian," I told her.

"They're on their way." Waverly touched my arm, a look of concern on her face. "Will wanted me to make sure you're feeling all right before we go. How's your back?"

"It's fine," I said.

"You'll let me know if it starts bothering you?"

I nodded.

"Here they come," Waverly said.

I turned my head and saw Hudson and Ian coming toward us. The sight of the tall, muscular men made me nervous. I told myself to relax. They were here to keep me safe, not to hurt me. I rose from the bench and helped Waverly to her feet.

"Thank you, Lainey," she said, patting her huge belly. "I'll be glad when sitting down and standing up isn't such a job."

"You're welcome."

"Are you ladies ready to go?" Ian inquired.

"I think so," I said.

Hudson arched an eyebrow at Waverly. "Do you need to pee? I don't want to be halfway to town and you start whining that you need to pee."

Waverly slapped his chest. "Hey, I don't whine."

Ian snorted. "Sure you don't."

"You two better watch it," she warned them. "I might be ready to pop these pups out, but I can still kick your ass."

Hudson and Ian busted out laughing.

"Come on, Lainey." Waverly linked arms with me. "We don't need them. I can protect you."

Hudson stopped laughing. "Not happening. Alpha Will would kill us if we let Luna Lainey go without us."

"Then get in the car, Wolf Boy."

"You mean Wolf Man."

"Nope." She grinned. " I meant Wolf Boy."

I was looking through a rack of blouses when I felt as though I was being watched. Glancing over my shoulder, I spotted one of Striker's men standing near a mannequin gazing at me. Fear swept through me. My body began to tremble, and my heart started to pound. The need to run away came over me.

Hudson stepped up beside me and asked in a low voice, "What's wrong?"

"One of Striker's men is watching me," I forced past the lump of fear lodged in my throat.

"He's been following us this entire time," he said. "Don't worry about him. Ian and I are keeping a close eye on him. He tries anything we'll take care of him. You just carry on with your shopping."

I took a deep breath, let it out slowly, and returned my attention to the blouses.

"I found the perfect dress for you," Waverly said.

She held up an emerald green dress. It had a long skirt, was strapless, and had a heart shaped neckline.

"It's beautiful," I said, "but when would I need a dress like that?"

"Will's friend, Dalton, is having a birthday soon," Waverly said. "Dalton likes to throw a big party and invite his friends and family. Dress code is always formal. You'll need a dress."

"How much does it cost?" I inquired.

"$425.00," she said.

I gaped at her. "No, I - I can't buy that. It's too much."

"If Will was here with us, he would tell you to buy it," Waverly said.

I shook my head no. I wasn't going to budge on this. The dress was too expensive, and I wasn't comfortable spending William's money on something that wasn't a necessity.

"All right," she said. "I won't pressure you into buying it. I saw a pair of shoes that I just have to buy. I'm going to go grab them before someone else does. I won't be long."

"Okay." I looked over my shoulder again. Striker's man was still standing there watching me.

"Ian, stay with Luna Lainey," Hudson said. "I'm going to have a talk with our friend over there."

"Have fun," Ian said.

Hudson grinned, a lethal look in his eyes. "Oh, I plan to."

I watched Hudson walk over to the other man, grab him by the throat, and shove him up against a rack of skirts. Hudson got up close and said something in the man's face.

"Can you hear what he's saying to him?" I asked Ian.

He smirked. "I am a wolf, Luna. I do have a wolf's heightened sense of hearing."

"What's he saying?"

"I can't tell you," he said. "It's not meant for a lady such as yourself to hear."

"Oh," I mumbled.

Hudson released him and came back over to us, a minute later. "Continue with your shopping, Luna. He won't bother you."

I swallowed hard. "Thank you both for looking out for me."

Ian smiled. "It's our honor, Luna Lainey."

I glanced past them. Striker's man was gone.

END OF SAMPLE