Chapter 5

Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it and you.  :)

(Lainey)

I woke the next morning to unfamiliar surroundings. It took several panic filled seconds for me to remember where I was. I was in William's guestroom. He brought me here last night after the doctor released me from his care.

My movements slow and stiff, I tossed aside the covers and got out of bed. I made the bed and then went into the adjoining bathroom. There I emptied my bladder, washed my face, and ran a brush through my hair.

Returning to the bedroom, I slipped on a green and white polka dot sundress and slid my feet into a pair of white sandals. The dress and shoes belonged to Waverly. She loaned me some clothes until I could get my own.

I left the bedroom and made my way to the kitchen. It took me wandering around for a minute before I located it. I could hear Waverly's voice. I paused just outside the kitchen not wanting to intrude.

"You put her in the guestroom?"

"Yes," William said. "Believe me I wasn't thrilled about it, but I knew she wasn't ready for us to share a bed. Yes, we're mates, but we're very much strangers. We need to become more comfortable with each other before anything intimate happens."

"I think you made the right decision," she said.

I decided to stop eavesdropping and make my presence known. I walked into the kitchen. Waverly was removing a skillet from the oven while William was pouring coffee into a cup.

"Good morning, Lainey," Waverly said, placing the skillet on the stove top.

William smiled at me. "Good morning, sweetheart."

"Good morning," I said softly.

"You're just in time for breakfast." Waverly removed a knife from a drawer. "I hope you like quiche."

"I've never had it," I told her.

"Have you had a frittata?" William asked.

"Yes."

"A quiche is like a frittata," Waverly said, cutting into the quiche. "Difference is a quiche has a crust and a frittata doesn't. I made a ham and cheese quiche. Will, grab the fruit salad from the fridge."

"Is there anything I can do?" I asked.

"I have everything under control," Waverly said. "Just sit down and take it easy."

I wasn't used to someone taking care of me. A mixture of emotions swept through me, overwhelming me. Tears sprang to my eyes. I gripped the back of the chair in front of me and took a deep breath, trying to calm down.

William set the bowl of fruit salad on the table and came around to my side. Slowly, he wrapped his arms around me, being mindful of the wounds on my back, and brought me close to his chest. Despite the tingling sensation shooting throughout my body at his touch, I stiffened up.

"Relax," he breathed in my ear. "You're safe with me."

I closed my eyes and willed myself to relax. Instead of concentrating on my fears, I concentrated on the man holding me. He held me as though I was the most fragile thing in the world. He had that scent you get after it rained, a sweet earthy aroma. I pressed my nose to his chest and breathed in deeply. My body instantly relaxed.