5

On the way to the pier, we stopped at a shop to grab beach towels because it was inevitable that one of us was going to end up being soaking wet.

Ashton talked for most of the drive to Santa Monica. I just didn't have it in me to respond to the things he was saying, but I think he understood that. He didn't wait awkwardly for me to reply to something he said, he just kept on going. When he wasn't talking, he was singing along to the songs that played from the speakers.

I was lucky though, it wasn't awkward. Ashton didn't do the whole 'awkward' thing very well, and I really liked that about him.

When we parked, Ashton led me down to the pier. There were restaurants and a little arcade, along with a ferris wheel.

"Alright, Ivy. We're going to get ice cream and then we're going to go walk by the water. There is no fucking way you can be in a bad mood when you're walking by the water. Especially with ice cream from Pier Burger."

Pier Burger had a diner-esque type feel, just like a lot of the places I'd gone to in Los Angeles so far. Ashton led me up to the counter and ordered us each an ice cream cone; vanilla for him and chocolate for me because unlike some people, Ashton seemed to remember what I liked and disliked.

As Ashton went to pay the cashier, I remembered I had Michael's credit card. I smiled and pulled it out of my pocket, handing it to the guy at the till before Ashton could refuse my offer.

"Why would you pay, Ivy?" He asked, sounding exasperated. I smirked up at him. It was the first time I'd smiled in what felt like all day.

"Because this is Mikey's credit card." I explained. Ash grinned widely at me before taking out order number out of the worker's hand and leading me over to the stools across the small restaurant.

"You're devious, Ivy. How did you even get his credit card?" I shrugged.

"When he got that phone call he handed me his card in Amoeba to pay for all my things." I clasped my hands together in my lap. "Maybe he had an idea of what was going to happen and already felt guilty." Ashton frowned and shrugged his shoulders.

"Yeah, maybe." He turned his attention towards the receipt in his hands. "He shouldn't have done that. He shouldn't have left you like that."

"That doesn't change the fact that he did." I mumbled.

"Ashton, I have your order ready." The worker said into the microphone, grinning over at us. I had a feeling he might've recognized Ashton and it was probably for the best that we made our way out of the small eatery.

Ashton led me down the stairs of the pier towards the beach, which was surprisingly empty considering how warm it was.

We walked down by the edge of the water, eating our ice cream in silence. I loved being by the water; it made me feel like I was at home.

It made me sad to think that after only being in America for a few days, I already wanted to go home.

Ashton stopped and stood ankle deep in the water. "You deserve a lot better than him, you know." He finally said, kicking at the sand. "As a best friend, and as more." I walked further into the ocean, only stopping when the water was halfway to my knees. I didn't know how to respond.

"He treats you so badly, Ivy. I know you love him, but he isn't good enough for you. You're so smart and funny and you're so damn pretty. I can't think of a single person on this earth who's good enough for you. I hate seeing you let him continuously treat you like this, y'know? You've been here what, three days, and he's already made you cry. He's hurt you every single day that you've been here. That's not right."