Worried Sick

"Why are you so worried about that puny girl?" Meg asks me this and I completely ignore her. I've been working on the accompaniment for the ayrie that Melody sang to me. It's been days since I've seen her.

"What are you keeping from me?" Meg asks, viciously snatching my music from in front of me. Slamming my hands on the keys of my piano, I growl in disgust.

"Why did she even need that mask? It's not like she was special or anything!" Meg pauses then goes on, "She probably didn't feel worthy enough to be in your presence, that's why she left! What an ignorant girl, wouldn't know talent if it hit her in the face," Hearing Meg insult Melody makes my blood boil. Looking up, Meg has my music in one hand and Mel's mask in the other.

"Leave..." I order in a stern whisper, "NOW!" My whisper turns into a yell. The blonde drops the precious items from her hands and stomps away. I catch the fragile mask before it hits the floor. How can Meg be so reckless?

I sit on the floor and my heart yearns for Melody. Closing my eyes, I imagine her perfect smile, inches from mine. We talk and laugh, comfortable in each other's presence.

"Wake up! Angel!" I hear Melody's voice call for me. Opening my eyes, I'm let down. It is just Madame Giry, "Oh god, you're burning up," I feel sweat dripping down my face. I must have passed out, "You need to lay down somewhere else," Giry helps me up and takes me to my bedroom. I sit down on the bed and slowly pull a sheet over me, Melody's mask still in my hand.

My heart feels like it is being crushed, my pain can't be described. I curl up in the bed almost screaming, "Master, just breathe, calm yourself!"

I calm my breathing, thinking of Christine to help put my mind at ease. Giry runs back down to the ground level of the Concert Hall to get something. In the matter of seconds, she is back at my side.

"Take these," Madame Giry's hands me two small white pills. I'm quite hesitant to take them though, "It's just a fever reducer and a pain reliever. It won't hurt you, I promise," I take the pills. There isn't instant relief, but when the pain finally subsides, I fall asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Get out, he's waking up!" Giry commands someone to leave. I've never heard this side of Madame Giry before. I attempt to sit up but gentle hands push me back down, "You need to rest more. You are incredibly sick."

"I need to keep working," I feel really dizzy. I sit up against the backboard. Madame Giry shakes her head in disagreement.

"The only thing anyone needs to worry about right now is your wellbeing. Everything else can wait," Giry states, handing me a small glass of water, "Phantasma can open on a later date, but I know that's not what you're talking about," She pauses for a moment, "You want to go find Melody and I won't be able stop you," Madame Giry backs away, allowing me to get up.

"Thank you," I say. My hands find the backboard and push me onto my feet. I grab my cape and hat. I rush down the stairs giving Madame Giry a quick glance before she's out of my sight.

I realize I still have Melody's mask in my hands as I reach the front doors. Might as well give it to her, she's going to need it. I walk fast through the front gates, feeling the soft wind on my hot face. The street lamps are still broken, although the glass has been cleaned up.

I'm not quite sure where to start. I know the man that she had met, Derrick, lives nearby. Carlotta will not want to see me. She doesn't even know that I still exist. I guess she will now.

I get myself through their locked gate and to the living quarters. Although I'm nervous of the reaction of the woman inside, my worry for Melody pushes me forward. I knock on the door.

"Derrick...grab the door darling..." I hear the woman say this, followed by footsteps approaching the door. It opens and I see the young man who I remember to be Derrick.

"Sir...the park has been closed for quite some time. How did you get in here?" He rightfully doesn't know who I am, but I don't care to introduce myself.

"Have you seen a young girl?" I ask this in almost a demand. Derrick looks at me confused.

"I don't know what you're talking about...." he says this but I hear her in the other room.

"Angel? Is that you?" She appears beside Derrick. "I'm sorry for leaving...I just.." she hugs me tightly, not finishing her sentence. The glimpse that I got of her face, it seems to have gone back to being distorted.

"I need you to come back..." I say this and she pulls away from me. I hand Melody her mask and she turns and looks at Derrick before putting it on.

"I'll be back..." you can hear the smile in her voice. "Tell your mother I said goodbye."