Sick

He really has to be a sick man to send a box of chocolates with that kind of a note. "I don't recommend eating any of these...he probably just filled it with cheap ones..." I warn them, closing the box and putting it to the side. "If I knew Raoul wanted to send me here, I would've came willingly....anything to get away from him."

"Well. We don't want you to work here, we'd rather just have you as family." Carlotta takes my hand and squeezes it gently. "We'll keep your secret. You're in America now, there's nothing much that we'd be able to do." She pauses for a moment before continuing. "Your mother and I knew each other really well, although we didn't get along really well. You look just like her..." I smile and nod.

"I was never told that before because of my face...it looked so bad...I guess people didn't look that hard at me." I say this, realizing it for myself as well. "My parents would never believe me when I told them I was picked on at school. They assumed no one would possibly do anything like that to the daughter of Christine Daae. Raoul thought I deserved it...It was my fault that my face never healed..." my face gets hot and starts to burn. I look at Carlotta and her eyes widen.

"You look just like him....I don't know why I've never noticed it before..." Carlotta's eyes don't leave my face. I look away and to the floor, feeling ashamed of myself. "How did that happen to your face? I know you weren't born with it. It's been so long..." Derrick grabs my hand gently in reassurance. I had known him before the accident and he stayed by my side even though I wasn't the same. I sigh nervously before recounting the night to her.

"I'm sorry daddy!" I scream as Raoul drags me down the hallway. "I was scared..."

His breath reeks of alcohol, "You're a stupid kid," He pulls me into the kitchen, where mommy is making tea for the baby in her stomach.

"Raoul, what are you doing?!" Mommy seems quite concerned, "It's hours past her bedtime," She walks over and picks me up, having me sit on the counter. Thankfully, it makes Raoul let go of my wrist.

"That's exactly why we are down here. I walked by her room and her light was still on, she was wide awake. She decided she wanted to have an attitude with me when I asked why on earth she was up," he explains. My mother brushes her hand down my smooth face and her warm chocolate eyes reach into my soul.

"What were you doing up past your bedtime?" She asks lovingly. Tears form in my 4 year old eyes.

"I was scared," I start to explain, "of the monster in my closet. Father didn't check to see if it was there when he put me to bed, so I turned my light on. I'm really scared Mommy," I hug her and start crying. She strokes my hair to comfort me, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Momma."

"Shhh, there is nothing to apologize for," Mommy holds me close to her. We sit peacefully for a couple seconds before Raoul starts talking again.

"Why do you baby her?" He asks. "She needs to grow up and stop talking about this nonsense." I hide my face, ashamed of myself. Maybe he's right about me. Mommy kisses my forehead before whispering in my ear.

"Go to the library, I'll meet you there in a couple minutes. Find your favorite book, I'll read it to you, then you can sleep with me tonight," she helps me down and gently pushes me on my way with a comforting smile on her face. I carefully make my way past my father, not wanting to get grabbed again. When I reach the stairs, out of sight, I stand with my back against the railing.

" 'Why do I baby her?' She's our daughter! It's about time you treat her like such!" I hear Mother slam her hand down on the counter, "Maybe you would understand if didn't have scotch on your breath whenever you speak!" She sighs, seeming to regret raising her voice. "You're the only father she has.... you wanted this for us..."

"It's always my fault! Why is it always my fault?!" He yells. I've never heard Raoul talk this way to mother before. He is being extremely rude. "I didn't want some weak girl!"

"I'm doing my best to start a family and all you're doing is making everything more difficult! Our daughter was 'wasting time' by being scared? What kind of father are you!?" Mommy yells back. This scares me more than the monster in my closet. At least he didn't yell at me like father did. "I don't want to talk about this now. So if you'll excuse me, I have a book to read to my daughter!" I hear her footsteps come closer, but then stop abruptly.

"I'm sorry Christine....let's talk about it...I'll listen. I promise." My father says this softly and I hear my mother go back deeper into the kitchen. I assume she won't be reading to me tonight now.

"Child...come with me...I'll read to you..." I turn to see who spoke, but there's no one there.

"Who's there?" I take a step, but had forgotten about the stairs. I fall down, but don't remember anything else.

"I don't remember going down the stairs....I just remember falling..." I say this, trying my best to remember.

"You never found out who it was? Who spoke to you?" Carlotta asks this and I shake my head. I feel like I know who it was, now that I've met Angel, but I can't tell them. He doesn't seem to want anyone to know who he is.

"It was probably a voice in my head...I was exhausted..." I tell the same lie I had been telling myself for years. I know for a fact, there was someone hiding in my closet. I could feel them there, watching me. I'd wake up in the morning and I'd be on my couch. I didn't know if I had been sleep walking, although that's what I told myself.

"You seem tired..." Derrick pulls me gently to him, letting me lay my head on his lap. I lay my head down and realize, I am quite tired.