Gone for Good

I hurry carefully up the stairs, "That's a lot of doors," I say to myself when I reach the top. I open every door until I find a bathroom. The bathroom looks very fancy. A marble floor and beautiful light fixture are only some of the beautiful features the room has. I close the door and look in the mirror.

I undo my hair from the large bun it was in and let it fall. My curly hair is at the very bottom of my back now, way to long for me. I guess I can deal with it when we get to America. There is a gentle knock on the door. I open it and find a case with a short note attached, written in beautiful calligraphy:

Fantine,
I have gone to buy our boat tickets. I will return soon. We leave tonight. Help yourself to any instruments in the music room.

-Your Angel

I open the case and see some of my clothes, shoes, some necessities, and my favorite jewelry. I grab one of the dresses, a pair of shoes, and a necklace and lay them on the floor next to the sink. Taking off my current dress, I turn on the sink and wash my face. The cold water feels good. I grab the black dress and slip it on. I see what My Angel meant about looking like Mother. I definitely see it now. When I get older I hope I won't look exactly like Mother.

Except for the eyes I seem quite like her, just like Angel said. My eyes are bright blue, Mother's are dark brown. I put on the shoes and the necklace. Opening the door, I grab my old clothes and the case. The light shuts off automatically as I walk down the stairs. The lights are all on downstairs. I lay the case flat against the wall at the foot of the steps.

I walk into the kitchen to see biscuits on a plate along with a cup of tea. My stomach growls as I notice how hungry I actually am.

I didn't realize how long I was upstairs.

The biscuits melt warmly in my mouth and when they are gone I instantly start on my tea. The tea taste like chocolate and peppermint. (which is actually really good) When the tea is gone I spot a quill, ink and parchment.

I should a write letter to my family. Something to make sure they won't look for me. I don't want to break my mother's heart, but it will be enough to keep them away. I move over the materials and start writing.

Dear Mom and Gustave,
Please forgive me.
I love you.
Gustave, remember your lullaby. Look with your heart, not with your eyes. You will always be my little sweetheart. Feel free to go in my room, sweet child, I won't mind. I love you so much Gustave.
Mom, I'm sorry I just can't take it anymore. Raoul doesn't love me and since he doesn't love me, no one can. I really wanted to spend some time with you but I don't think it would have happened. Please don't hate yourself. Don't cry. I love you too much to think of you sad because of me.
I hope you will live better without me. I will see you when I wake up from my deep sleep. I will not be gone for good. I will live on in your memories.
I love you.

-Fantine