Derrick

"One moment Miss Fleck, while I prepare our adventure!" My Angel says. He turns out of our compartment and walks toward the front of the boat. I stare at the seat that Angel was sitting in. He asked me about my nightmares. I have had nightmares every night since I was very little. Even when I just dozed off, they'd be there.

But that night I passed out in My Angel's arms. I didn't even dream. I felt so safe.

"Miss? Are you waiting for someone?" A man about 18 years old walks up to my compartment. I look up at him, he looks extremely familiar.

"Yes, my Uncle, Mr. Y," I had snuck a peek at My Angel's passport.

"I should've known. You're dressed very nicely for a New-Yorker," he says this and sits in front of me. This man doesn't seem to care about my mask. I stay silent, not know if to take what he said as a compliment or an insult, "I'm sorry, My name is Derrick Thompson." Now I know why he's familiar. We went to school together, he's Carlotta's son. The two of us were super close. I haven't seen him in years, but we've been keeping up through letters. I sent our last on the morning we left my house.

"I'm Melody Fleck but you can call me Me-," The last part of the name. I made up gets cut off by a loud noise from outside. Derrick spots a newspaper that is laying next to me and picks it up. I look out the window and see My Angel motioning for me to come off the ship, "I have to leave, Mr. Derrick. I hope to see you around!" I get up and start to walk to the exit before Derrick stops and hands me something.

"Stop by whenever you like," He says before heading back to get one of his bags. I walk off the boat and head toward My Angel.

"I have a car waiting for us," Angel says. He leads me with my bag to the small black car. There are two men in the front, they get out and take my case and secure it.

"These are my best employees," he gestures to the two men. One is tall and thin, the other is large and muscular, but short in height.

"I'm Dr. Gangle," the tall and thin one says.

"Mr. Squelch," the muscular one says.

"Miss Fleck," I say introducing myself. They seem nice enough. We get into the carriage. I look at the object that Mr. Thompson gave me. It's a newspaper ad with an address on it, his address.

"What's that?" My Angel asks. I look down at the paper then look back up at him, nervous.

"Umm....I met this man on the train. His name is Derrick. He gave his address. He apparently lives on Coney," I hand him the paper and he looks at it.

"Are you going to go see him?" he asks, surprising me. I shrug.

"Probably not. What do you think?" I ask. I'm desperate for his guidance. I don't want him to be mad. Derrick will know who I am if he doesn't already.

"I think you should. It might be good for you," Angel says, surprising me.

"I might, then," I look out the window to see people lining the streets. They seem to be waiting for something, "Why are the people standing outside?" Angel smirks and also looks out the window.

"The amusement park that's across from where I work has its grand opening tonight. A man named Mr. Thompson owns the amusement park, he's one of my competitors," He adds the last part as the car comes to a stop in front of some rather large gates. It can't be the same Mr. Thompson as the one on the boat, could it?

We head out of the car and through the gates quickly before anyone sees us.

There are many amusement park rides inside the gates along with a dozen of beautiful buildings.