It Can't Be

I run after the car. As it turns I fall to my knees with my hands on my heart.

My last piece of the Phantom, running away from me. The only girl in the family, gone. It's all Raoul's fault. Not like I'll ever find the courage to tell him. Speak of the Devil. I can't spend two minutes by myself.

"What are you doing on the ground? Get up!" Raoul pulls me up off the ground violently. He is still drunk(I didn't expect any different). I don't remember when he started drinking. I get out of his grasp and back away, "Where's the girl?" He asks. I look up into his eyes.

"Our daughter, Fantine, is gone," I storm back into our house and go to Fantine's room. Going down the spiral staircase, I admire the detail on the handrail. I've been wondering how she can stay hours on end in her room. I see Gustave sitting at Fantine's piano. The large dark room reminds me of the night I found the Phantom. I can never forget that night.

"Mother, where has Fantine gone?" Gustave asks. I don't know what to tell him. I don't even know where she is going. Fantine herself probably doesn't know where she is going, "She never came to sing me a lullaby. I kept waiting but she never came."

"I don't know where she is. But she'll come back. I promise," Sitting down at the piano next to him, I look at the music that is lying on the sleek top of the piano. I pick up one of the sheets and play some of the notes she has written. What she has written is beautiful. Every note and every word flows like it's perfect, "Did you know she wrote music down here?" I ask Gustave.

"Yes," he looks down at his feet in shame, "I told Father where she was and he came down here. It's all my fault that she is gone," I hold him close. Gustave is cold to the bone.

"It's not your fault Gustave. Your father would have found out soon enough," I sit my little boy onto my lap to warm him and continue to play the piano. I resist the urge to cry as I play.

Fantine writes just like her father.

As I finish the first piece, I notice some music that is very familiar to me. The Point of No Return. It's not in Fantine's handwriting. It's in Erik's. How did she get this?

She must have found it in the music room or something. I do still have mine from all those years ago.

"Mother, we should go up before Father starts to worry," Gustave is falling asleep.

"You go on ahead. I'll be up soon, Gustave," He gets up and walks to the stairs. I hear his little feet on the steps. A sob forms in my throat as I look at my daughter's handwriting. Going upstairs, I look around Fantine's room to see if there is any way to know where she was going. I see a small note on her desk. It's in messy handwriting but I can still read what it says: I love you Mom.

I put in my dress so Raoul won't see it. I hope Fantine comes back. I need her.

"Mother, are you ok?" Gustave appears in the doorway. I nod and walk towards him.

"Yeah, I just a little tired. Let's get you into bed," I walk with Guustave to his room where I lie down next to him, "Do you want me to stay with you tonight?"

"Yes Mother," I lay stoking his hair gently as he falls asleep. Once Gustave is asleep, I put my head down on the pillow and drift off into an uneasy slumber.

~~~Early the next morning~~~

"Mother?" A small voice wakes me, "Mother, I heard a car pull up outside. I think Fantine is back," I immediately get up and head with my son outside. He was right, there is a car outside but it's empty.

I open the door to see a letter on the seat.

Dear Mom and Gustave,

Please forgive me.
I love you.
Gustave, remember your lullaby. Look with your heart, not with your eyes. You will always be my little sweetheart. Feel free to go in my room, sweet child, I won't mind. I love you so much Gustave.
Mom, I'm sorry I just can't take it anymore. Raoul doesn't love me and since he doesn't love me, no one can. I really wanted to spend some time with you but I don't think it would have happened. Please don't hate yourself. Don't cry. I love you too much to think that you could ever be sad because of me.
I hope you will live better without me. I will see you when I wake up from my deep sleep. I will not be gone for good. I will live on in your memories.
I love you.

-Fantine

P.S. Mother, Gustave's lullaby is on my nightstand along with other things you might need.

"No!" I yell.

"Mother, what's wrong?" Gustave asks. Tears stream down my face.

I scream. Grabbing onto the door, I feel lightheaded. In almost seconds I fall to the ground. No. No. Please make it not be true. Please.

"Moth-" is the last thing I hear before the world goes black.