Front Page

It doesn't take long for the excitement to sink into me. This is a dream come true. I love every inch of it! I've never seen something as extravagant in my life.

"Did you build this Angel?" I spin in a full circle to look at everything.

Heavenly. Roller coasters, merry-go-rounds, all kinds dining, and a lot of different attractions and buildings scattered around.

"I designed it all. Do you like it?" He asks. I turn to him and smile, though he can't see it.

"It's beautiful!" I almost sing with joy. My father had always called me a freakshow. Well, Dad, that's just what I'll be.

"Thanks, lets head into the music hall. Some people are expecting me," Angel says. I follow him to the one of the two largest buildings in the whole park. As Angel opens the grand doors, I let out loud gasp.

It's the most elegant place in the world, "Did you design this, too?" I rush in and look up. A mural is painted on the very top of the building. There's also a magnificent chandelier in the center of the ceiling. Mr. Squelch and Dr. Gangle disappear with my bag. I get interrupted from my gaze by a blonde-haired woman holding a newspaper rushing to meet Angel.

"I'm so sorry," the woman is in tears over what she is talking about. Angel looks confused.

"What happened Meg?" Angel asks. The woman, Meg, doesn't answer. All she does is stare at the floor in shame or in sadness. Angel lifts up her chin with his finger, "Tell me what you're upset about," this time she doesn't answer, but Meg hands him the newspaper.

"'Daughter of French Prodigy Commits Suicide at Age 16.'" He reads the headline of the front page aloud. Angel reads the rest of the article silently. The look on his face changes (from what I perceive as fake) sorrow to (real) anger. The anger is not to me though, it is directed toward what he's reading.

"Does Madame Giry know?" Angel asks. The name sounds familiar. My mother may have told me about this woman before.

"No, Mother doesn't know yet," Meg says after a sniffle. Angel sighs before continuing.

"You should go tell her," Angel gives Meg the newspaper and she scurries off. My Angel turns to me, "Now I know what you mean about them not looking for you," Angel smiles at me reassuringly and it makes me feel warm inside. I hug him and he hugs me back very gently.