Boat Trip

I walk into the house to see Fantine writing something. She seems pretty distraught, "Fantine, I have our boat tickets and your passport. I also have a surprise," I picked up a full face mask for her. Painted and everything. Fantine just looks so much like Christine I can't risk Madame Giry and Meg seeing her. Along with all the interviewers.

"A surprise? Is it a birthday present?" She asks. Fantine is folding the piece of paper she was writing on. Her mask is part of her birthday present. Fantine puts the piece of paper down on the table.

"Here," I had her the package the mask is in, "You can open it while I explain your passport," she nods and starts to open it, "I have a passport with your picture on it but the name is blank. I also made you two years older. I figure you could make a new name for yourself," I watch her struggle with the tape on the box.

It pains me to look at her now that her face isn't distorted. I'm still trying to figure out the magic behind why her face can change. Maybe I have cursed Christine somehow, I don't want to think about the other reason.

"This is beautiful! Thank you so much!" She puts it on with the band wrapping around the back looking almost invisible. All you can see of Fantine's face is her sterling blue eyes, "How does it look? It fits nicely!" I can hear the beautiful smile on her face. A smile also creeps onto my face. I then remember that our boat leaves in two hours.

"You look wonderful. But we must be going, our boat leaves today," I say this as I grab the suitcase, leaving the turquoise dress that was on top of it on the floor. She follows as I open the door.

"Angel, is there any way I can get this to my house. It's a letter that I wrote to make sure they won't come looking for me," Fantine hands me the letter.

"I can send it back with the car. They will surely find it," I say as I walk out the door she follows almost at my heels. Fantine lets the door close behind her.

"That's sounds perfect," She hops into the carriage. I put the letter in my pocket. Don't want to risk losing it now. I secure the case onto the back of the car and get in, sitting next to Fantine. We start to move as the car goes down the driveway.

"It will probably take about half an hour to get to the port," I say this as I pull her passport out of my other pocket, "Have you found a name yet?" Fantine looks up at me from her hands.

"I was just thinking about that. How do you like the name Melody?" She asks. I grab a ball point pen and write the name Melody. I really don't think that they will care for the middle name or last name with me onboard. We will be traveling far, so we get a room with a bed.

"I think the name is perfect," I say. The ride stays silent.

~~~~~

The car stops at the port. I wasn't very off on my estimation, "Who am I in relation to you with this passport?" Fantine....well, now Melody asks.

"I am a 'famous opera house owner', I believe. You are my niece for now," I say this just as I open the door. I put the letter on the seat before the car rolls away.

"Ok," Melody whispers just as she gets out. A boy grabs the case and puts it onto the ship. Melody follows me, staying silent. I can tell that she is nervous, just like anyone who is taking a boat trip for the first time. She's leaving home for the first time as well. The trip will feel longer than I thought.