Chapter Sixteen: Forever Us

Maleficent's POV

Diaval and I were both in our nest together as I tending to him.

After tending to Diaval's bruised wound on his face as well as the injury I had unintentionally inflicted upon him with my magic...he had fallen asleep on my lap.

My eyes caught his scar like marks on his face.

His dark hair framed his face quite nicely, I couldn't help but lightly graze my hand over his face.

And as I observed his features...I started to take notice of every detail I could find about him as he continued to sleep soundly.

After a while of caressing his face his eyes fluttered open.

To my surprise, he slowly stopped my hand with his.

"Can I ask you something?" He asked as I held a soft glance toward him.

"Ask away." I spoke.

"To you...am I a man or a Raven?" As he asked that question he took my hand to his face with his own hand.

"Yes." I answered him with tenderness as his eyes softened, but he still seemed confused even after my answer to his question.

"Sorry?"

"You are both to me....Why do you ask?"

"Well..." He seemed quite serious about getting a straight answer from me as he sat up beside me, folding his hand in mine.

"You see Mistress...my love for you has made me...well, how do I put this?...it's made me...question who I really am? Umm...does that make any sense?"

"I'm unsure of what you are trying to convey? You are confused on what you are as a living being? You're unsure of your originality? Or of what you are now?"

After that, I  had seemed to accidentally confused him even further as well as myself.

But pondering for a few minutes...I seemed to understand what he meant.

I smiled at him as I turned him around.

"Let me see your back...Your bandages came undone."

Silence had happen to slip in between us both.

And then I spoke after some time of silence.

"Whether a man or a raven, you're you and that's that. You're Diaval...the man and the raven I love."

"But I can't even tell who I am anymore...I'm stuck between two worlds...afraid I'll forget my origins as a raven but also terrified to lose my human form...terrified that if I never change into a human...I'll never get to have a matching hand to hold to yours....I'll never be able to touch your face as you cry...I could never protect you as a raven...but as a man I could-"

"Enough. You are here as a human now, and even still...you're still a raven at heart. Diaval...don't fear. There is absolutely no reason to."

Diaval's POV

Her hand grazed my back as she spoke, relieving me of my unpleasant emotions of fear.

My tense muscles slacked under her touch.

As much as I wanted to turn around to see her, she disallowed me due to readjusting my bandages.

Once she was done I was able to turn around.

Once I did turn to face her, she had faced her sight to the ground.

"You know...I really do care for you. No matter how much I have to tolerate you and your cruel jokes or your stubborn pigheadedness. My heart yearns for you Diaval...I'm still pretty vulnerable to this feeling...so don't you dare mock me...don't joke or make light of what I'm saying...because I mean it Diaval..."