Chapter Ten: Touching the Dark Sky Will Burn You

Diaval's POV

As much as I thought I knew of Mistress... thinking I knew every twist and turn of her very being...

In that, I was starting to understand I was wrong.

I did not know everything there was to know regarding my Mistress.

There was still such compelling mysteries hidden about her.

Secrets she had yet to unveil.

As so, as it was expected of her, she would never give the chance to be uncovered by anyone... to be unmasked after hiding what she had hidden for so long....

She would never allow such a thing.

She would not unveil her secrets for anyone.

Not to Aurora, not to the moor-folk, not to her Fey kind...especially not to any human.

Perhaps...not even to me.

Some of her character was still untold, unheard, and unseen to me.

But one thing, I was most certain about...was how Maleficent was always one to distract her own weakness, never to show she was capable of such sentiment.

She was never one to reveal her weaknesses so frivolously to anyone.

She was never reckless.

Always sure, always careful.

Thorough in every step.

And yet, even though she was so careful...I could always find moments to where she was so close to falling off the edge.

So close to giving in to what she wanted to belt out, what began to beat against her chest and very mind.

One I could recall so clearly, was when I had first met her...she had found the news, I had given her of Stefan, pretty bad.

It was devastating to her.

That was the time when I witnessed...the most shattering she had ever been.

I couldn't imagine what it was like for her to loose her wings...to wake up...to see both her freedom and love taken away simultaneously, and vanishing without a trace.

When it came to her feelings and what her heart harbored she was at uttermost caution and I could see why.

Yet, lately she has been displaying more of what she has been feeling.

Slowly, I was beginning to see a side of her I had never really known before.

The side of her that she once was before all the heartbreak and betrayal she had to withstand and suffer through occurred.

An action unlike her, who has always been so reserved and withdrawn from most, if not all.

When I had touched her face to see if she was alright I felt a burning on her no-longer pale skin.

She was unmistakably blushing as her face was of scarlet red.

I figured she did not wish for me to see nor notice her expression.

So I backed away.

I shouldn't have but I did.

Forcing the urge out of my mind that told me to embrace her.

As Maleficent lead the way we both walked back to where the others were so she could eat.

As we walked I could not help but feel fondness for her; for my Mistress.