Chapter Five: A Dear Friend

Night settled.

Both Diaval and his Mistress took up a small temporary nest-like place to sleep, made for them by a few Fey of the tundra.

It was almost like a welcoming gift for them both.

Like always, they had separate places to sleep.

As for Conall, he had been heavily treated with herbal treatments and was now recovering.

Once they were settled all Maleficent could do was toss and turn.

She couldn't sleep even if she wanted to.

She just wasn't tired.

"Can't sleep?" Diaval asked, unsure if he should have said anything at all, considering she might not have been in the best of moods.

But he wished to settle her uneasiness. Even if small talk was all he could really ever offer her.

He could sense his Mistress was strung up about something...he could feel she was very hesitant to share her troubles with him.

He didn't want to pry...so he waited.

Hoping she'd open up, even a little.

All Maleficent did was take a heavy sigh as she turned her gaze away from him.

"She mocks me of my pain and rage." She was quiet about her words.

Diaval understood why.

"That's because she wants a war." He spoke gently, cautious not to stir any type of anger in her.

"Tell me. Did you notice anything strange about her?"

Maleficent did wish to know...more specifically... she wanted to be wrong in thinking Diaval had some how forgotten about her.

But she thought and thought...

She was foolish to degrade Diaval's loyalty as such.

How could he ever forget her when he loved Maleficent...even if she had no clue about it.

She was as clueless as a turkey and maybe just as stubborn...maybe a mule, Diaval thought.

Knowing not to share his humor with her, Diaval kept quiet about these particular thoughts of his.

If she knew he was thinking of her in such a humorous manner...she would have turned him into those things no doubt.

For Maleficent... she was too busy buried in her own thoughts to notice the small smile on his face.

For her, she wanted to know the truth, even if she knew her accusations were completely false.

She knew Diaval would never leave her, it would only be by rare mistake if that.

She counted on him too much to think less.

Diaval was now without a smile, knowing his Mistress was serious about her question toward him.

"Well...at first I didn't find anything unusual or wrong. But once you left...and no one could find you...I was very worried for you Mistress. But I'm glad to see you're doing well now."

Some part of her calmed after hearing his words.

And she was kind of glad she had covered her bullet wound before Diaval could see it.

She never liked the idea of Diaval looking upon her frailty...seeing her weak side.

It was somehow a fear of her's.

Even she didn't know why.

He was a raven who cared deeply for her...she knew that.

But what she didn't know was that his loyalty and affections for her were not merely as a servant alone.