Chapter Seven: Unlike You

Maleficent's POV

It was time to head back.

My heart was too focused on Diaval to stay, my heart did not wish to be separated from him any longer than it had.

And just as it had been my first time in a long time to cry, it had been my first time in a long time to have finally listened to my heart.

I needed to tell him.

I yearned to tell Diaval.

I loved him.

I got up, standing as I took flight.

Returning to my nest was my plan but it had diverted from seeing a particular set of eyes.

Diaval had sat at the edge of a cliff waiting for me to return.

"Mistress." He spoke, so bewildered and cautious.

"Yes?"

"You seem...unwell. Did something happen?"

"Indeed."

All else was asleep, leaving only Diaval and I to speak between one another.

But I could not muster the courage to tell him.

"Is there something the matter?"

I only glared at him.

"You did just say-yes...sorry."

An awkward silence lingered between Diaval and I.

"Does it have anything to do with me Mistress?"

"Not particularly...but maybe a little."

Maybe a lot.

But I wasn't about to squander my pride just yet.

As much as I wished to confess my heart to him...my pride held all of it back by a near string.

A string that had strength I knew all too well. A string that would be almost impossible to break as much as it stood alone.

It would have to take the impossible for my pride to fall.

So instead of telling him how I felt I said what normally came.

"I'll be heading in now. Goodnight."

I left him alone.

Morning came as well as an oncoming war.

When all was said and done we had won.

Not only was Queen Ingrith defeated but she was also turned into a goat, becoming inconsequential to most.

Aurora was safe and as much as I wished for her to stay by my side for a little while longer...I had to let her go.

She was in love with Prince Philip and if he made her happy...well then...I had to give her up.

I had to let her marry him, as long as he stayed true to her and really did love her.