Chapter 7

((**A/N** Hello, everyone! I return with another chapter! The outfit above is what Emi's wearing in the latter half of the chapter, and, well... here's hoping I can update again soon. I promise I'll try my best to be quick! ^~^))

A couple of days pass without hearing from Kou. The weekend arrives. I spend the whole time worried sick... since I might have come off as ungrateful before, maybe Kou is done with me?

I'm still too scared to text him. 

But the days pass a little too quickly, even if I can't get the pictures Kou sent me out of my head. I look back over them a couple of times and regret it each and every one. I look so stupid. How can Kou think that those outfits suit me? Thinking that he still has the pictures is nerve-wracking. Just imagining if he showed them to someone...

Even so, I miss him. Worrying about when my training will continue scares me. I don't want to be forgotten because I made a mistake. 

So on late Friday night, when my phone finally buzzes, I scramble for it. 

It's a text from Kou. 

Hi hi, kitten! How are you doing? ♪

Good! I've been waiting for you! 

It doesn't occur to me until I've sent the message that I sound desperate. I bite my lip. Hopefully, that won't put him off. Kou does already know how excited I am and how much I need him... maybe he'll think my eagerness is cute? 

Cute... yeah, right. Like anyone could think that about me. I'm not anything like that. Even though Kou sees potential in me, could it be true?

Kou texts back a moment later. 

That's great! (*⌒∇⌒*) I'm glad you're doing well. I have another assignment for you, are you ready for it~?

That gives me pause. Another assignment? Kou must mean something like the shopping trip, and that terrifies me. I don't know if I can do that again... No, I have to. If Kou says so, I'll do it happily. I want to be an idol, so I can't question these things. I need to do what I have to so Kou will train me properly. 

But still, I hesitate. I'm scared. I don't think I can live up to his expectations, and yet—

Yeah, I am. Can you tell me? :>

Glad to see your enthusiasm. ( ◞・౪・) The assignment is... Wait for it... Karaoke!

Kou's messages are separated into three. Every text leaves my stomach churning, and the last one is almost a relief. Karaoke. That's... not ideal, but not awful either. I've at least done that before, even if I'm not a very good singer. 

If that's all, I can do it. The results won't be amazing, that much is for sure, but I can try my best! 

I text back quickly. I want Kou to know how excited I am. Well, kind of. It's better if he thinks that I'm one-hundred-percent willing.

Okay! That sounds fun! When do you want to go?

Fun... not exactly what I'd call it, but good enough. Being respectful to the person who's training me is better than showing him my doubts. 

Tonight, as soon as possible! I'll send you the address, so meet me there. ♡

Wait, what?

Tonight!?

From there, I scramble to get ready. Even though my parents won't like it if I'm out late, I can't exactly say no. Kou told me to be there. That means that I have to comply. It's not a school night, at the very least... I get dressed as quickly as possible, try to do some makeup— just a bit of tan eye shadow and pink lip gloss—, and run a brush through my hair until it looks decent. 

And then, with a quick shout to my mom, I'm out the door. Kou texted me the address a few minutes ago, and it's fortunately within walking distance of my house. I should be there pretty quickly. Here's hoping that it'll be fast enough for Kou's liking. 

On the way, all I can think about is how I'll do. If I'll be good enough. If Kou will approve. So much is riding on my compliance and improvement. I just hope I'll do okay.

-------

At the karaoke place, I stop, panting heavily. With deep breaths, I smooth out my skirt and try to tame my now-mussed hair. I'm glad that I wore something short-sleeved, but I also feel gross, too hot, and vaguely sweaty. Probably my imagination... but I'm praying Kou doesn't complain. 

I gather my courage, clutch my purse at my hip, and force myself to step inside. 

A woman at the front desk greets me. When I tell her that I have someone waiting for me, she nods and confirms my name. "Emi Kohaku," I tell her, getting the vague impression that she's judging me. Maybe she knows who Kou is?

Nervously, I walk back to the room she directs me to. I open the door hesitantly. 

Inside, the room is small and intimate

Inside, the room is small and intimate. It looks high-class enough that I can't help but gulp. Kou is perched on the red, leather booth, flipping through the song catalog and nibbling on a Pretz snack from a box beside him. 

I take a deep breath. "H-Hello, I'm here."

Kou looks up with wide, blue eyes. A second later, he bursts into a smile. Nibbling the Pretz stick down quickly, he waves me over. 

"Sit down, kitten!"

I obey. "I hope I-I wasn't late..."

"Nope, not at all. I expected it'd take you a while. Nice dress, by the way. You look pretty cute!" Kou grins and pokes my shoulder. 

Instantly, I'm blushing like crazy. What I'm wearing is simple, but Kou likes it? I'm kind of shocked. I'll have to wear things like this more often, even if the skirt is shorter than I'd usually go with. I can deal with a little bit of discomfort, right?

Kou keeps skimming over the song catalog. I watch somewhat anxiously. He said I was going to sing, but what song? And does that mean he will too? I'd like to pick my own if I could, something that I might do okay with, but I don't think that's Kou's idea here. I... really do hope that he'll sing, though. I'd be honored to hear that up close. 

"Alright, kitten! I picked out a great one for you!"