Chapter 2

((**A/N** Kou's views towards heavier people are not in line with the author's. Kou is kind of a dick. >w>))

"You know, Emi... now that I'm really looking at you, you're kinda cute."

When Kou says that, I think that my heart almost stops. I stare at him for a moment, dumbly, trying to get words to come out when it feels like my throat is almost closing up. 

"Wh-What!? I'm-- I'm sorry, I must have heard you wrong. There's no way you just said that I'm kind of cute. No way, no way, no way..." I'm fidgeting by now, clutching my bag with one hand and trying to hide my face behind the other. 

"You heard me right, kitten," Kou grins, taking a step closer. "I mean, it's not totally obvious, but you're not bad. Here, lemme look."

With that, he gets right into my space, leaning down and looking me in the eye. A second later, he has a hand under my chin, angling my face up for his inspection. The contact alone has me flushing what has to be a brilliant red. 

"See, if your face wasn't so round, it would have a pretty nice outline. Your eyes are a pretty color and your lips are nice and pink. Your freckles could be covered up by makeup pretty easily, and a little bit of liner and mascara could make up for your lashes being so pale. And..." He looks down. "You're built pretty small. I can tell by how little your hands are. Lose the chub and you might actually qualify as cute!"

He smiles, still looking me right in the eye.

"I-I-- Um, th-thank you!" I squeak. "Th-That's very k-kind of you to sa-say-- I mean, um, I don't exactly see it, but I'm very thankful for the p-p-praise." As soon as Kou releases my face, I'm stepping back, looking down and wringing my hands. 

This can't be happening. Forget Ruri-chan's merch; I just got called cute by one of the higher-ranking male idols in the country!

"Mmm... that makes me think, actually. Do you like idols? I mean, you're obviously my fan, but what do you think about the business in general?"

"It's my everything!" I blurt out without really thinking. "I-I've always wanted to be one, but since I'm... well, me, I settle for being as much of a fan as I can. I admire people like you more than anything. I can't imagine what that kind of life would be like..."

"Well then, do you wanna get a chance to be one?"

Kou says it perfectly casually, but for me, it's like my heart stops. I look up at him again, eyes wide. What does he mean by that?

"Wh-What? I don't understand."

"I'm saying that with my influence, it would be pre~etty easy to get you in. I can't guarantee you'll get famous or anything, but I could give you a little push, y'know? If I was backing you, you'd have a decent shot."

"Why would you do that for someone like me?" 

I sound pathetic, I know I do. Even so, Kou just met me. Why is he so sure that he wants to give some average girl his support. He might think I'm cute, but I'm for sure no beauty, and definitely not the makings of a star. He'd be wasting his effort if he tried, but even so... could I really bring myself to turn this kind of offer down?

"Because I want to. I mean... there would be a catch, but I'm sure that it would be worth it for both of us." Kou is grinning while he says it, but I detect a slight chill in his voice. 

"A catch...?"

"Yeah," Kou laughs, "but it's a pretty simple one. All I'm asking is that I train you myself. You'll have to stick to me and do what I say, but I don't think you'd mind that, right? You'd get to spend tons of time with a real-life idol."

He has a point, and that catch doesn't sound like much at all. Having to spend time around Kou Mukami? That sounds like the reward, not the catch.

"I-Is that really all you're asking? I mean-- I'm not doubting you or anything, th-that just seems like such a low cost... You probably know already that I'd be honored..." I trail off, anxiety creeping into my tone. 

"It'd be tough. I'm not saying that my training would be anything easy, but it'd get you somewhere. I'll put you through all the prep-work you need to make your debut, and then-- boom!" Kou gives a little wave of his hands. "You're out in the world of idols for real. Wouldn't that be a dream come true?" 

Of course, I want to scream. No one's ever noticed me before. No one has seen me as being worth their time. I've wanted to have this chance for as long as I can remember, and all I've ever been told is that it wouldn't ever happen. Especially not to someone like me. 

Kou is looking at me like he really sees something special. He's smiling with excitement, shifting on his feet and giving me an expectant stare. 

I feel increasingly like I'm freezing up. I want to say yes, I want to so badly, but--

The thought scares me. I'm afraid of being the center of attention, even for something as simple as giving a speech in class. My body doesn't look a thing like the slim, perfect idols I see on TV. I've practiced singing for as long as I can remember, but am I really good enough to do this for real? How is Kou so sure that he can make something good out of me?

"Well? What do you say, kitten? I'm gonna have to get going, so I need you to give me your answer now. Come on... doesn't it sound like exactly what you've always wanted?"

He has a point. This is what I've always wanted. I take a deep breath, closing my eyes and bracing myself for rejection. There's a good chance that this will all turn out to be some awful joke, but...

"I'll do it!"