Chapter 4

((**A/N** Hi hi, everyone!! I'm back again with a new chapter. I hope everyone likes it. >.< As usual, the picture above is Emi's outfit for this chapter. Well... for a while, anyway.))

I go for two days without another message from Kou. And, of course, I'm too scared to text him first, so the silence is unbroken. 

During that time, I worry myself sick. What if he was just joking? What if he never intends to text me again? Maybe it was all just some cruel trick and I'll never have another shot at my dream. He got my hopes up, and it would be so, so easy to crush them. 

But on the third morning, at last, I get a message!

Hi there, kitten! °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖° I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. Busy, y'know?

I reply in an instant. 

Of course, that's completely understandable. I'm... just glad you texted me at all. >.<

I have to wait about ten minutes for another response, which has me worrying all over again. I suddenly feel like I'm acting way too desperate. 

There's no way I wouldn't. ♡ So... how about we go shopping after you're done with school today? I want to see how you look in clothes that aren't so boring. 

That earns an embarrassed blush. Boring. Kou thinks that my fashion choices are boring. I mean, it makes sense. He's an idol who wears cute things all the time. I'm just a nobody on a tight budget. And anyway... the cute stuff never comes in my size. Or looks good on me the way I am. I hate showing off my body, especially when things don't fit. 

I'd be happy to! Just tell me where to meet you, and I'll be there. 

Kou texts me the location of a popular mall deep in the city. I tell him that it'll take me a while to ride the bus to get there, but I'll show up for sure. I'm beyond nervous already, but I also know that this is an important first step. 

And I get to meet Kou again...

Good girl!! I'll see you there this afternoon. ♡✧( ु•⌄• )

. . . 

That day, I can barely pay attention in class. I was honestly tempted to skip school and make sure I get to the mall way early, but I know that that would just get me in trouble. 

I've barely slept three nights in a row, considering how excited and tense I was over the whole situation with Kou. On top of that, the messaging from this morning has me even more on edge. I'm kind of scared of what could happen today, but at the same time, I'm so hyped that I feel like I could explode. I'm at that tipping point between excitement and anxiety. 

After school, as soon as I get home, I change out of my uniform and into something that I hope is a little bit cuter than my usual. It's frilly and in soft pastels, with a little, gold, heart-shaped locket hanging down at about boob-level. 

Ugh. I hate how my chest looks in sweaters. Way too big and awkward. I'd be better off with a more petite look like all of the cute girls in magazines have. 

But anyway, I back my bag and head out as soon as possible. 

The bus ride is long, but I don't really mind. I listen to music on my phone and stare at the messages from Kou over and over again. This is real. Unless he stands me up, I'm seriously going shopping with an idol.

At the mall, I wait exactly where Kou told me we'd meet. I have no idea if he's even going to show up, but I'm determined to be waiting if he gets here. 

Kou is fifteen minutes late compared to me, but when I see him, my heart skips a beat. 

"Hi there, kitten! I'm a bit late, huh?"

"N-No! Not at all!" I stutter. "I-I was ju-just early..."

"Hey, that's good too. It's nice to see you showing some enthusiasm." He smiles. I think I can feel my heart melting. "I'm really happy that you showed up. I have big plans for today, so let's get going, m'kay? We'll have lots of fun together!"

The together part of that makes me tense up. This is still absolutely unbelievable. I'm standing right here with Kou Mukami, and he's excited that I even showed up. My head is spinning. The whole situation seems like it can barely be real, and yet, here I am. I really am incredibly lucky to have wound up meeting him, in the first place. 

"Okay! Um, where are we going? Do you have a particular store in mind?"

"Of course! I've been here plenty of times myself, so I know exactly where to go to pick out just the right clothes for you."

Good. I'm glad that one of us knows what we're doing. 

"Oh, and just to mention it; this is just a trial run, okay? We probably won't be buying anything today. I'm just seeing how you look in various styles-- so I can get an idea of what your best aesthetic would be. Just like playing dress-up!"

I nod maybe a little bit too quickly. "Y-Yes, of course! That makes perfect sense."

We get moving. I trail after Kou obediently, staying just a couple of steps behind. As much as I'd like to walk beside him, that seems a little outside of my boundaries. 

I'm so nervous I can hardly stand it. Fashion has never been my strong suit. Because of my weight, I don't look good in much of anything. I hate seeing my reflection, especially when it's in something too cute for my plain looks. I'm kind of scared of what Kou will want to see me in, but... I need to trust him. He knows what'll work best for my training. 

I need to have faith that he knows what he's doing. 

Eventually, Kou stops in front of a particular store. As soon as I look up, I freeze in shock. This is... not what I was expecting. 

The store is one with all kinds of very, very sexy clothes-- at least from what I can see through the front windows. There's a lot of pink, a lot of frills, and the models on display aren't too covered. Instantly, I'm worried. There's no way that this can be meant for me. 

"Um, K-Kou. Is th-this the right place?"

"Mhmm! I know it looks kind of strange, but this is where a lot of idols get their casual outfits. Here, lemme show you."

Kou pulls out his phone, flipping through a couple of pages before turning it toward me. On the screen is an absolutely adorable girl wearing something that definitely looks like it came out of this store. He flicks through a few more pages of the same thing. 

"See? Perfectly normal. And remember, we're just testing stuff out."

"Ah, I-I guess so... I'll put my faith in you." I smile, hoping that I don't look totally stupid. Kou has to know that I'm nervous about this, but yeah, he probably knows best. 

"That's a good girl, kitten. Just have some faith in me~"