four

The rest of the week went by fast. Zaylee was loving Forks just as Dallas. She had Edward and he had Bella. The one thing they haven't done since being in Forks was talk about their parents. Zaylee inhaled deeply and walked downstairs to see Dallas trying to find something on tv. "Dallas, I think we need to talk."

"Okay." He said. "What is it that you need to talk about?"

Zaylee sat down and look at him. "Mom and dad."

Dallas looked at her wondering why she suddenly wanted to talk about that. "Zaylee, is there something you are hiding."

She showed the news paper making him sigh seeing as the murderer of their parents was getting life if Zaylee testifies. "Oh no." He said. "Okay, um... do you want to go to the police station since we don't live there no more to do testify."

"No." She said. "I want to do this in person. I want him gone, but I think I want Edward there too."

"What did you want to talk about mom and dad?"

"Mom actually said something as I waited for help. She told me that we were her treasures. She loved us and that one day we will meet someone that will love us and keep us safe." She said. "I was her little princess as you were the knight. Daddy didn't say a word as he was gone. The nightmares are there I just don't say anything about, but being here has healed me."

"Zaylee, we need to pack and I'll call Edward to tell him that you want him there for tomorrow."
~~~
"It was a normal day." Zaylee said. "Dallas was at field hockey practice as I was at home helping mom set up for dinner. We heard pounding causing daddy to go answer the door."

"What did you hear?"

"Where is my money? If I don't have it, I will take your daughter as a payment."

"What else did you hear?" The DA asked.

Edward looked at Zaylee as she looked at him. He nodded knowing she had this. "Daddy told him 'you will not take my daughter over my dead body.' That's when we heard the gun shot. Mom grabbed me and we ran to the pantry. She told me to stay quiet. I did as told."

"Do you need a minute, dear."

Zaylee shook her head as she let tears fall. "Its the only way to get justice." She said. "I watched through the cracks and saw my dad's old employer walk in. He asked where I was and mom wouldn't tell him. That's when he shot her in the chest. He searched the house for me and then left after he couldn't find me. I came out of the pantry and ran to mom. Her last words to me was that I was her little princess as Dallas was the knight. After she passed in my arms, I went to check on dad, but had a knife with me in case he came back. I was on the phone with 911 when I told them that my father was also gone."

"Thank you, Zaylee."

Zaylee walked off the stand and over to Edward and Dallas. She hugged her brother first then Edward. "You did great."

She nodded as they listened to the verdict. "We the jury sentence, John Johnson, to life in prison for the deaths of Melinda and Ryan Gilbert."

Zaylee and Dallas smiled as they got what they wanted. Edward held his mate close as she cried. No more nightmares. Zaylee Gilbert was free. She looked at Edward before kissing him. Edward was shocked at first, but kissed her back as everyone cheered for the verdict. Dallas shook his head at them and knew that everything was going to be okay.