NINETEEN

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

After Leo's embarrassing interruption, Jacob and Charlie snapped out of their bubble to play a vicious round of Magic, in which Tanner and Xolo almost punched one another, and Gianni began to bawl loudly after his team died

They figured a break from violent nerd shit was probably the best idea.

Charlie found herself on the couch, sandwiched between a tipsy Fallon and a sobered-up Jacob, who despite his overwhelming confidence earlier, only stole glances at Charlie when she wasn't looking. The air was filled with the scent of liquor and smoke, the seven friends lounging in the living room in the aftermath.

As drunken conversations ensued between the group, Jacob and Charlie sat silently next to one another; neither moving closer, neither speaking. Charlie was tuning into Fallon's discussion with Peyton when Jacob said,

"I confess, Bug. You kicked my ass."

Charlie felt a grin take over her face as she twisted her body to face him.

"You put up one hell of a fight, Duck. Your spell arsenal was extremely impressive, but you had just one weakness."

Jacob's expression turned quizzical. "What was it? Was it because I didn't use my Planeswalker card? I knew you were going to spot that -"

"You kept staring at me, Duck. You weren't focused." Charlie teased.

"W-well how could I be? You're you, and you're playing my favorite card game with me. I'm easily distracted by things that amaze me, Pierce," Jacob spoke softly. Charlie wasn't expecting an answer like that; her body naturally softened into his, and he moved an inch closer to her.

"Now it feels right for me to say that it makes so sense why my mind is always so jumbled around you now," Charlie mumbled under her breath. Jacob let out a whispery laugh,  his hands running back and forth on his knees. Charlie let her head fall onto his shoulder, and Jacob's heartbeat automatically picked up.

She was seemingly comfortable with him; he couldn't remember the last time he felt comfortable with someone, and yet here was Charlie Pierce, warping his sense of normalcy for the better.

The pair hadn't even noticed when a 50's tune had begun to play, and didn't bat an eye when Xolo grabbed Fallon's hand, twisting her to the sound of the music. They swayed awkwardly, Leo laughing as Fallon tried to spin Xolo unsuccessfully.

Peyton, who had been dozing off, perked back up and poked Gianni on he cheek. She stood up, holding out her hand as Gianni rolled his eyes.

"C'mon, Decenzo. I'm a great lead," she lilted as he reluctantly took her hand. Peyton yanked him up, dipping him as he groaned in pain.

Charlie watched as her friends twirled and swayed to the music, and couldn't help but smile at the joy they were all feeling. She hadn't been around this many friends since her Junior year of high school, and that was filled with regret and too Xanax.

Yet here, Charlie didn't feel a single ounce of regret as she gazed upon the people she loved most, loving the moment they were in.

She didn't even notice Jacob standing in front of her, his hand held out in an invitation. Charlie looked up at him, shaking her head as a beaming smile crossed his face.